These vegan crepes are the easiest crepes you’ll ever make. Why? Well, they only have 3 ingredients.
And really, those 3 ingredients are all that is needed, because these crepes are gorgeous.
You can have them either savory or sweet, but my personal fave is exactly like this, with cinnamon sugar, lemon juice and syrup (not necessarily all on the same crepe, but often, yes, all on the same crepe #yolo right?)
These crepes were a staple when I was growing up. It was a cup of flour, a cup of milk and 1 egg. So it’s easy as to veganize this, all you need to do is use a cup of flour, a cup of soy milk and a flax egg. Voila! Works like a charm.
And if you’re not familiar with the cinnamon sugar thing, well – just mix a little cinnamon and sugar together, sprinkle it over your crepe and then squeeze some fresh lemon juice over that, wrap it up and enjoy!
And when you want a slightly different taste, pour on some syrup, roll it up and eat.
And when you want to go really crazy, go cinnamon sugar lemon juice and syrup all at once. This is how my hubby does it. He doesn’t play around.
As you can see above, your batter needs to be quite thin, you need to be able to pour in the batter and then instantly swirl it around the pan so that it spreads out into a thin crepe (as pictured).
As for when to flip it, you want to wait until all the wet batter has been absorbed. If you flip it too early, that’s when it’ll break and fold over itself and you’ll have some sort of a freakish calzone crepe thing going on.
As soon as both sides are lightly browned, it’s ready to go.
You’re going to looove these crepes, and if you make this recipe, please rate it and leave a comment!
Oh and don’t forget to take a pic and tag it #lovingitvegan on Instagram so we can admire your handiwork!
- 1 cup (125g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 flax egg
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute or two.
- While the flax egg is sitting, sift the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk) and the flax egg and mix in well.
- Heat up a frying pan with ½ tsp of oil (I used coconut) and when the pan is very hot, pour in enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan once swirled around.
- Flip the pancake only when it's cooked through enough so that there is no wet patches of batter facing upwards.
- Cook on the other side until both sides are lightly browned.
- Repeat until your batter is finished.
- Serve with cinnamon and sugar (mixed together), fresh lemon juice and syrup.
*This recipe doesn't make a lot of crepes, only 5 or 6. So feel free to double up the recipe if you want more.