What I love most about these chocolate coconut date balls is that they make the perfect small snack right out of the freezer!
You keep them in the freezer (they don’t freeze! Just get very chewy and delicious), so they can last for ages – providing you with a perfect little mouthful size snack whenever you choose.
And they’re pretty healthy too! Well ‘healthy’ is not my favorite word really as it’s something that everyone has different definitions for. But hey, dark chocolate, coconut and dates together, whether healthy or not (I say YES – it’s healthy!) is nonetheless super damn delicious!
And it’s so easy to make too.
Well, only 3-ingredients, that’s pretty easy, and it’s just a case of processing the dates into a smooth caramel, adding in some dessicated coconut, rolling into balls and in more coconut, and then dipping in melted chocolate.
So easy. So good.
I’ve always thought dates go well with chocolate, there’s this dark chocolate covered dates treat that I often buy when grocery shopping. You know, when you just can’t resist a little add-on to your grocery list.
And then coconut in chocolate is something that many commercial chocolate bars have taken advantage of.
And all 3 together? Well – that’s when it gets really exciting.
You will love how the sweetness of the dates blends perfectly with the crunchiness of the coconut, and how the two together create magic with the dark chocolate outer layer.
You will also love how chewy the center is, and how hard and smooth the outer chocolate layer is. It’s a very satisfying feeling to bite into one of these chocolate coconut date balls.
You will also love how easy it to make these, and how long they can last in your freezer, providing you daily snack attack satisfaction for days ahead.
Questions, comments? I’d love to hear them, post them down below in the comment section.
And if you happen to make them, tag any pics #lovingitvegan on instagram so we don’t miss out on seeing them. Thanks!
- 40 Small Soft Dates
- 2 cups (160g) Dessicated Coconut - plus ½ cup (40g) for rolling
- ½ cup Hot Water (optional)
- 10.5oz (300g) Vegan Dark Chocolate
- Pit the dates and place them into your food processor and process.
- They will initially form a giant ball.
- Stop the food processor and break up the ball and process again.
- If needed, add ¼ cup hot water (from the kettle) slowly, while the food processor is on, which will make it easier to process into a smooth caramel paste.
- Remove the date caramel from the processor and add 2 cups of dessicated coconut and stir in.
- Then roll into balls and roll in more coconut and place the balls on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Insert toothpicks into each ball.
- Place into the freezer and allow the balls to set until they are hard.
- When the balls are hard, melt your chocolate by placing the chocolate into a bowl and placing the bowl over a pot with a little boiling water. Or use a double boiler or melt it in the microwave by microwaving in 30 second intervals, taking it out to stir and then microwaving again.
- Dip the date coconut balls into the chocolate - coating them as well as you can.
- Return the chocolate covered ball to the parchment lined baking tray.
- When all the balls are covered with chocolate, return to the freezer and allow the chocolate to set.
- You can keep these in the freezer permanently as it keeps the texture deliciously chewy and it doesn't freeze solid.