So you know, matcha is very trendy right now. And not that I’m a person who manages to keep up with trends or anything, but I have been wanting to make gluten-free vegan vanilla cupcakes for ages, so I decided to just go for it and top them with some matcha green tea frosting!
After making my matcha green tea smoothie I knew I was a fan, so why not extend the love to other recipes?
And since making my vegan vanilla cupcakes, I have been wanting to try a gluten-free version, so these two ideas collided in a most pleasing way.
I was pretty much thrilled with how these came out. And so was everyone who ate them!
I was a little surprised at how golden the color was. I’m assuming that’s down to the gluten-free all purpose flour, because in my other vanilla cupcakes made with regular flour, the color is much lighter. Here, it’s this lovely golden color.
The golden color of the cupcakes blends so well with the light green color of the matcha green tea frosting.
I used a tablespoon of matcha green tea powder in this frosting, and the green tea flavor is quite strong when you taste the frosting alone.
But once it’s on top of the cupcakes and the flavors blend together the green tea flavor then seems very mild.
Making cupcakes is one of my favorite things to do these days. They’re just so easy and fun to make!
Carrot cake cupcakes? Red Velvet Cupcakes? Chocolate Orange Cupcakes? All of the above? Any suggestions – post them down below!
You will love these gluten-free vanilla cupcakes, they are:
- Light and fluffy
- Perfectly sweet
- Vanilla infused
- Topped with velvety smooth matcha green tea frosting!
Let me know what you think of these beautifully golden gluten-free vegan vanilla cupcakes!
Post any comments or questions in the comment section down below.
If you make this recipe, please pop back and rate it and let us know how it turned out! And if you take any photos tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram as we’d love love love to see them!
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 + ¾ cups (238g) Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 1 + ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup (120ml) Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- For the Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- ⅓ cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Soy Milk
- 1 Tbsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla extract, olive oil, vinegar and applesauce and mix using a hand whisk until all the lumps are gone. If a few small lumps remain, that's fine.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners. Pour the batter into a jug that's easy to pour from and pour out the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake liners.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk and matcha green tea powder to an electric mixing bowl.
- Starting on low speed and then gradually increasing speed, whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Pipe onto the cupcakes and serve.