Making your own homemade vegan buttermilk is beyond simple.
It’s literally two ingredients, roughly two minutes, and you’re done!
Now what would you be needing buttermilk for you might ask?
Well….. maybe it was just me who was asking this question!
You’ll use it for vegan baking that’s what!
It wasn’t until I was adapting a recipe to make a fabulous Red Velvet Cake that I realized the wonder of the homemade buttermilk!
You’ll be able to use this in any recipe calling for buttermilk, in an exact cup for cup replacement. Whoopee!
Alternatively you can also use vinegar, the exact same recipe, just using vinegar instead of lemon juice in the same ratio.
This makes a perfect buttermilk that you can use in any recipe – I honestly don’t think you would use it anywhere else other than in a recipe?
But maybe I’m wrong there. Let me know if I am!
You can also use any non-dairy milk in this recipe.
So if you prefer to use almond milk or some other non-dairy milk instead of soy milk – you can go right ahead.
So let me know how this recipe works out for you, rate it and leave a comment if you’ve made it. We’d love to hear from you!
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Soy Milk
- Squeeze a half lemon, which will make roughly 1 Tbsp (15ml) of Lemon Juice (if it makes a little more that's fine you can use it all)
- Pour the lemon juice into a measuring jug.
- Add soy milk up to the 1 cup line.
- Allow to sit for a minute.
- It will thicken and curdle.
- Your vegan buttermilk is ready to go!
*You can also use vinegar in place of the lemon juice. So 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in place of lemon juice will also make buttermilk.