Oatmeal crunchies is an old South African recipe favorite. As a kid in SA, if you went to visit anyone’s granny, it was likely that they would have some crunchies in a cookie jar that you would be mighty pleased to tuck in to.
In South Africa – these are just called ‘Crunchies’. But I added in ‘oatmeal’ to make it a bit more explanatory, since ‘crunchies’ alone doesn’t really say much!
Though, they really are very crunchy indeed.
And they have a wonderfully hearty, healthy, wholesome vibe going for them too.
They’re sort of a fabulous mix of oatmeal cookies and granola bars.
You can even make these gluten-free if you like, you just have to swap out the all-purpose flour for gluten-free all purpose flour and make sure your rolled oats are the gluten-free variety.
I used Golden Syrup here, which is a UK brand that we use a lot in South Africa, though it’s also available in other countries. If you don’t have Golden Syrup, just use any syrup. Maple will do just fine.
In this recipe, you melt the butter, syrup and sugar together and when it’s bubbling along nicely, you take it off the heat, add in the baking soda and whisk it in.
Then pour this over the dry ingredients and mix in.
It’s a really simple recipe – just 10 ingredients and 40-50 minutes, and you’ll have the most delicious smelling house on the block (seriously, if you sell houses, I recommend baking these in that show house kitchen!)
Serve with some delicious cashew nut milk for a real milk and cookies treat!
When testing this recipe, I tried it with 8 ounces of vegan butter, since the traditional recipe uses that amount of regular butter, but it just seemed like a lot. Like really a lot.
The end result was perfectly wonderful, but I was wondering what would happen if I used a bit less. So I then tried it with 6 ounces and really, I couldn’t tell a difference. So I reckon – why not use less.
You can also choose how ‘crunchy’ you want your crunchies.
If you prefer them softer and chewier, you can take them out the oven a bit earlier. Cooking time is anything from 20-30 minutes. I go for the full 30 minutes, but I just turn the heat down in the last 10 minutes. I like them super crunchy.
If you love the crunchy things, you’ll love this recipe. If you love granola bars, you’ll love this recipe. If you love oatmeal, you’ll love this recipe. Really, I just think you will love this recipe!
If you make these South African Crunchies, let us know how it goes by rating the recipe and leaving a comment! And snap a photo whydontcha and tag it #lovingitvegan on Instagram so we can check it out!
- 2 cups (180g) Rolled Oats
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (60g) Dessicated Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 6 oz (170g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Golden Syrup (or Maple Syrup)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius).
- Add the rolled oats, coconut, flour, salt and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the butter to a pot on the stove and melt the butter on medium heat.
- Add the syrup and sugar and stir until the sugar has melted completely and the mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the heat, throw in the baking soda and using a hand whisk, quickly whisk it all together.
- Pour the melted butter, sugar and syrup mix over the dry ingredients and stir in.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Grease a baking tray with coconut oil.
- Scoop the mix out onto the baking tray and smooth down with a spatula.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350F degrees (180 celsius). Then turn it down to 320F degrees (160 celsius) for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When mostly cooled, cut into squares and store in an airtight cookie jar.