Making your own raw chocolate is an essential life skill.
It’s super easy, ridiculously fun and if you have kids, they’ll totally love it! I borrow a kid (my niece) on occasion to make things with me and making raw chocolate is something she loves.
The main recipe is really just 3 ingredients! Coconut oil, raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder is fine too), and date honey or maple syrup.
And then to that you can add all kinds of goodies for extra flavoring. I added some peanut butter, mesquite powder (has a lovely caramel flavor) some vanilla powder and sea salt.
And then I threw in some gorgeous whole hazelnuts to make this raw chocolate really fabulous!
You could use any other kind of nut though, or you could throw in puffed rice or dried fruits or whatever you like to find in your chocolate!
You just whiz up the main chocolate ingredients in a food processor and then pour out into cupcake liners. Then you throw in whatever you want as your filling and place into the fridge or freezer to set.
I topped mine off with some dried dessicated coconut and cacao nibs and not only did they look gorgeous, but it added a little something something to the flavor too.
I made quite a big batch of chocolate here, making 12 chocolates of a pretty good size!
If you’d like to have a smaller batch, you can easily halve the recipe and just make 6 raw chocolate hazelnut cups OR you can pour the chocolate out into a silicon ice tray which results in much smaller bite size chocolates.
You must keep these in the fridge or freezer. They don’t ever freeze solid, so keeping them in the freezer is totally fine.
You’ll find that they melt quite quickly against your fingers as you’re eating them, this is not a problem! It’s homemade goodness right here right now!
Of course these are super rich! So prepare to have your sweet tooth and chocolate cravings very well satisfied!
I think you’re going to love these raw chocolate hazelnut cups, they’re gloriously smooth, velvety, sweet and a little salty, creamy and wondrously dark chocolatey! With the added crunch and flavor from the hazelnuts, this makes a fabulously satisfying chocolate treat.
Let me know in the comments what you think of this recipe! And if you happen to make it, take a pic and tag it #lovingitvegan on instagram so I can see it!
And if you’re not already subscribed, subscribe to our mailing list to get a fabulous free ebook containing 10 high-raw recipes! And you’ll stay up to date with all the latest deliciousness too!
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
- 1 cup (84g) Cocoa or Cacao Powder
- 4 Tbsp (64g) Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter)
- ½ cup Maple Syrup or Date Honey
- 2 Tbsp Mesquite Powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla Powder
- Sprinkle Sea Salt
- Dessicated Coconut
- Cacao Nibs
- Place the melted coconut oil, cocoa powder, peanut or almond butter, maple syrup or date honey, mesquite, vanilla and a sprinkle of sea salt into the food processor and process into a smooth chocolate.
- Pour this out evenly into 12 cupcake liners.
- Throw in some hazelnuts (around 5 hazelnuts per cup is good, though you can add more if you like).
- Place into the freezer to set.
- Sprinkle some dessicated coconut and cacao nibs on top and serve.
- Keep in the fridge or freezer and bring out only when ready to serve or the chocolate will melt.
**Nutritional information does not include the cacao nibs and dessicated coconut sprinkles.