So… growing up I was obsessed with sweets. Like seriously obsessed.
When I was told that heaven was a place you went to after you died where everything was lovely I imagined this to be a place where everything was made out of candy. Like Hansel and Gretel house in the woods style. Except with no evil witch.
And in my version, the trees, clouds, flowers, grass and everything else was made out of candy! You just walked around eating and as you ate it refilled itself so it never ran out. That was my version of heaven.
And around this time one of my favorite chocolates ever was Cadbury’s Top Deck. Getting a slab of this chocolate for Christmas or birthdays was bliss. I even stopped biting my nails for two whole weeks when a slab of this was offered to me as a bribe.
Top Deck chocolate consists of a regular milk chocolate layer on the bottom, with a white chocolate topping.
You could bite off the top layer and have a mouthful of pure white chocolate and then eat the bottom piece on its own for a full milk chocolate flavor, or you could bite into the whole square and appreciate the blend of the two flavors. It was entertaining to eat!
And I loved Top Deck chocolate all the way into adulthood. Top Deck is a pretty beloved chocolate in South Africa and it’s also popular in the UK and Australia. I don’t think it’s really available anywhere else otherwise it would likely be popular there too!
Sadly though – this is not a dairy-free chocolate.
But this chocolate is what inspired these gorgeous top deck no bake brownies. I wanted to do the top deck thing but in a vegan dessert that would be simple and delicious.
So I settled on a raw chocolate brownie base and a white vanilla frosting for the topping. And the result was simply….spectacular!
I have to admit I did try to make an actual white chocolate topping, using coconut oil, cocoa butter, sugar etc, but several things went wrong. Firstly….. I totally flopped it.
But even if it had turned out as it was supposed to, when I was just mixing the ingredients I was looking at it with long teeth. There was just so much oily stuff going in there and it felt like it would make this a very heavy dessert. So that idea went out the window.
And I decided to do white vanilla frosting instead, and it worked out SO well, because the frosting adds a wonderful lightness to this dessert.
The blend of flavors in this is just magnificent. Light creamy vanilla frosting over dark chocolate crunchy brownies and then topped with vegan chocolate sprinkles.
And you know what else is awesome? These brownies are no bake brownies! Woohoo! This recipe is done in 30 minutes from start to finish and there is no cooking involved.
You will love how fabulously these brownies contrast the flavor of the dark chocolate with the vanilla frosting, and how deliciously simple they are to throw together.
So let us know how you like this recipe by leaving a comment! Made it already? Rate it and let us know how it went! Tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram too if you happen to post a pic, I want to see ALL THE THINGS! 🙂 Thanks guys!
- For the Dark Chocolate Brownie:
- 1.25 cups (156g) Macadamia Nuts
- 1.25 cups (125g) Walnuts
- 1 cup (125g) Pitted Dates (loosely packed)
- ½ cup (42g) Cocoa Powder
- For the White Vanilla Frosting:
- 2 cups (250g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Add the macadamia nuts, walnuts, pitted dates and cocoa to the food processor and process. You need to process it past the point where it's crumbly, until it becomes sticky and starts to clump together.
- Smooth down into an 8x8 inch square dish.
- In the meantime, add powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk and vanilla to a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon this over the top of the brownies and smooth out with a spatula.
- Cover the dish and place into the refrigerator to set.
- Slice into squares and serve.
- Store covered in the refrigerator where it will keep perfectly for a few days.
Like this recipe?
Check out our 14-Day Vegan Cleanse Program for plenty more!