Vegan corn fritters are my new favorite breakfast. Growing up we often ate fritters, but it was usually pumpkin or butternut fritters (will definitely post a recipe for that too sometime!).
What is awesome about corn fritters is that they are sweet and savory at the same time.
So if you like you can go more towards the sweet side – serve them with syrup – or more towards the savory side – serve them with sweet chili sauce!
Either way – divine!
What’s also great about these is that they’re so easy to make.
If your pan is big enough to cook them two at a time then this is a breakfast that can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
I knew I wanted something green in here, and wasn’t sure whether to use chives or cilantro.
But since cilantro is a bit of a love it or hate it sort of thing I decided to go with chives. And it worked very well.
It adds perfectly to the savory vibe of these vegan corn fritters, but not in a way that overpowers the sweetness. So yes, even with chives in, you can still serve them with syrup!
Usually fritters are deep fried but I’m just not a fan of deep fried, so these were simply fried in a little coconut oil.
These vegan corn fritters are delicious served either hot or cold. So have them straight away or, if you’re cooking for 1 and there are leftovers, no problem! Have them the next day too.
They are perfectly sweet while at the same time being wonderfully savory, and the crispiness of the corn provides a wonderful contrast in texture.
So let me know what you think of these vegan corn fritters!
Post any questions or comments down below, I’d love to hear from you.
And if you make these anytime, take a pic and tag it #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can see it too! Thanks!
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup (40g) Yellow Cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Soy Milk
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 2 14oz Cans Whole Corn Kernels (drained)
- ¼ cup Chives
- 4 tsp Coconut Oil (for frying)
- Maple Syrup or Sweet Chili Sauce (for serving)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp hot water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Add the soy milk, flax egg and vegan butter to the mixing bowl and whisk together with a hand whisk until the lumps are removed.
- Finally add the whole corn kernels and the chopped chives.
- Heat a pan on the stove with a tsp of coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot add just enough batter to form two rounds of batter in the pan. Don't swirl the batter around. It's okay for them to be quite thick.
- When the batter gets dry along the edges, flip them over. Let them cook each side until browned, pressing down with the spatula so that any uncooked batter in the middle will press out to the sides.
- It takes around 3 minutes for each fritter to be properly cooked.
- Repeat until your batter runs out.
- Serve hot or cold with maple syrup or sweet chili sauce.