The most perfectly simple avocado toast recipe. Quick, easy and minimalist to ideally bring out the flavors. Great for breakfast or a healthy snack!
I really contemplated whether I could put this up as a recipe. Because it’s not really much of a ‘recipe’. I mean it’s so simple it’s ridiculous.
But then I thought, hey, not everyone knows about the magic of avocado toast for one thing, and for another thing, not everyone knows the most delicious way to DO avocado toast.
Because there IS a right way to make this, you know.
So – there it is, full justification for doing this recipe on my blog.
How To Make Avocado Toast
So what is the right way to do avocado on toast? It’s simple.
- Take perfectly ripe avocado, slice it in half, scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Mash with a fork. Yes, mash. Sliced avocado on toast just will not do. It’s not the same. This is a crucial factor in the perfect avocado on toast recipe.
- The first crucial factor: Mashed avocado (with a fork)
- The second crucial factor: Sea salt
- The third crucial factor: Ground black pepper
- Fourth crucial factor: Perfectly toasted wholewheat bread. If you can get the wholewheat bread with little seeds all over the top, that’s even better.
Keep It Simple
I like to keep it simple with this recipe. A lot of avocado lovers spice it up by adding sliced tomato, radishes or peppers, or by chopping up fresh herbs to place on top.
These are all things you can try and experimentation is great, but I find that the perfection of this recipe comes through in its simplicity.
Adding too many other flavors takes away from fully enjoying the magical blend of creamy salted avocado and black pepper. Mmmmm!
Marmite or Vegemite
There is one variation to this recipe that works fantastically though. It basically adds more saltiness to it. And more salty with that much creamy works a treat.
You’ll need to be in South Africa or Australia or anywhere that sells products from those countries though, because the added saltiness is from Marmite or Vegemite.
You spread the dry toast with a layer of Marmite or Vegemite first and then add the mashed avocado on top. SO good.
Actually, let me check Amazon, ah there it is! Marmite. It’s the best! Australians swear by Vegemite but as a born and bred South African I must say Marmite is the sure winner! I highly recommend you give that one a try too.
In this recipe, there’s no Marmite or Vegemite, just delish mashed avocado with sea salt and black pepper and then more black pepper. Because black pepper. Right? Right. You get it!
Served on perfectly toasted wholewheat bread. It doesn’t get better than this!
Have it for breakfast, have it for lunch, have it for a snack anytime of day or night. So creamy, so smooth, so fine!
More delicious Vegan Breakfast Recipes
- Vegan Tofu Scramble
- Vegan Pancakes
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Vegan Overnight Oats
- Vegan Waffles
- Vegan Hash Browns
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
- Toast 4 slices of wholewheat bread.
- While the bread is toasting slice the avocado in half, remove the seed, and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Mash it very well with a fork.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- When the toast is ready, spread the mashed avocado generously onto each slice.
- Add more black pepper.
- Serve while toast is still hot!