These baked potato fries are spicy, garlicky, easy and delicious. Serve them with ketchup or vegan sour cream for the perfect side dish.
So, who doesn’t love fries? I think pretty much everyone loves ’em.
But when you make them yourself you can make some baked potato fries and this means…. you can make them with heaps less oil!
And what’s also great is you can put all sorts of delish flavorings with them like crushed garlic and rosemary and onion powder and oh my…. it’s so good I actually just want to make another batch right now!
We’ve got a thing in South Africa called ‘slap chips’ it basically means soft(er) fries, so fries that are not ultra crispy. And we love those!
So I’ve got a way to make these come out like that (which is how they are in these pictures) OR if you want them to be really crispy then I’ll tell you how to make them like that too. The difference really comes in with oven temperature and how long you bake them.
The entire batch of baked potato fries uses just 1 Tablespoon of olive oil yet you lose nothing in flavor or richness. These baked potato fries feel just as indulgent as any serving of fries at a restaurant.
How To Make Baked Potato Fries
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
Making these is super easy! You just peel the potatoes and then slice them in half and then slice them into strips. As you can see they’re quite thinly sliced. They have a wedge shape but they’re thin as opposed to a thick wedge.
And then you just throw them into a bowl with some olive oil, dried rosemary, salt, pepper, crushed garlic and onion powder and toss together until lightly coated in the oil (only 1 Tablespoon of oil for the whole batch, and it’s totally enough).
Then you just place them evenly onto a parchment lined baking tray.
Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, and you’re done.
We served these with vegan sour cream and ketchup. Of course some vegan mayonnaise is also good for serving, I have a recipe for homemade vegan mayo that just about blew my mind, I had no idea making your own vegan mayonnaise could be so easy. But let me not go off on a tangent about vegan mayonnaise now. Vegan aioli is also great for dipping.
More Delicious Vegan Sides
- Vegan Cornbread Muffins
- Roasted Eggplant
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Dinner Rolls
- Vegan Broccoli Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
Baked Potato Fries
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C) (*See notes for a crispier version)
- Peel potatoes and then slice in half lengthways and then cut them into slices.
- Add the sliced potatoes to a bowl and add in the olive oil, dried rosemary, salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion powder and toss together so that the potato slices are evenly coated.
- Place the potato slices evenly onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake the chips for 40 minutes until lightly golden on top.
- Serve with ketchup and vegan sour cream or vegan mayonnaise.
- If you want crispy fries rather than the softer version we have here, then preheat your oven to 450°F (232°C) instead. Make sure they are spread evenly across the tray and not on top of each other as the more evenly they are spread the more crispy they will be. Bake them for 40-45 minutes until browned and crispy. Enjoy!