Rich, moist and spongey vegan blue velvet cupcakes topped with a delicious blue velvet frosting. Simple and easy to make, and delicious to eat!
- For the Blue Velvet Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Homemade Buttermilk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp (28ml Bottle) Blue Food Coloring
- For the Blue Velvet Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered Sugar (Icing Sugar)
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp Blue Food Coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and mix.
- Prepare your buttermilk by squeezing half a lemon into a measuring jug and then adding soy milk (or other non-dairy milk) up to the 1 cup line. Allow to sit for a minute to curdle.
- Add the curdled buttermilk, vanilla, olive oil (or other vegetable oil), white vinegar and blue food coloring.
- Use a hand whisk to remove the lumps but don’t over-mix.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and divide the batter evenly between them.
- Place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding all the ingredients to a mixing bowl for an electric mixer and starting off at slow speed, gradually increase the speed until the frosting is thick and smooth.
- If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it is too thick, add a tiny bit of soy milk at a time and mix until you get the right consistency. The consistency should be very thick to allow for piping on the frosting.
- If you want to use some sanding sugar to decorate, add a couple of drops of blue food coloring to about 1/4 cup of white sugar in a jar. Close the lid of the jar and shake the jar vigorously so that the blue dye distributes evenly resulting in perfectly even blue sanding sugar.
- Sprinkle on top of the frosted cupcakes.
*Nutritional information is for 1 cupcake of 12 including a very generous amount of frosting.
*Recipe adapted from my Red Velvet Cupcakes.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 355
- Sugar: 47.9g
- Sodium: 255mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 65.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.9g