This butternut squash curry is creamy and mildly spicy and perfect for a delicious plant-based dinner. Healthy comfort food in a bowl.
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Finely Grated)
- 2 Tbsp Mild Curry Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
- 5 cups (800g) Butternut Squash (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Can (14oz/400ml) Crushed Tomatoes (or Chopped Tomatoes)
- 1 Can (14oz/400ml) Full Fat Coconut Milk (Unsweetened)
- 1 Can (15oz/425g) Chickpeas (Drained)
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 2 cups (86g) Baby Spinach
- Basmati Rice
- Roasted Salted Cashews
- Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
- Lime Wedges
- Add olive oil and chopped onion to a pot and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add crushed garlic, finely grated ginger, curry powder, ground coriander, turmeric and chili flakes and toss with the onions to toast the spices.
- Add peeled and chopped butternut squash and toss to mix with the onions and spices.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk and stir in.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat, cover and leave to simmer until the butternut squash is soft but firm (around 15-20 minutes).
- Add chickpeas and coconut sugar (for flavor balance) and stir in. Leave to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add baby spinach and stir in until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve with basmati rice and top with a sprinkle of roasted salted cashews, fresh chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Storing: Keep leftovers stored in the fridge in a covered container for 3-4 days.
Freezing: Freezer friendly for a month. Let the curry cool completely before freezing. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Nutritional information is for curry only and excludes rice and anything else it may be served with.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 15.5g
- Sodium: 398mg
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 15.3g
- Carbohydrates: 53.5g
- Fiber: 15.1g
- Protein: 10.9g
Keywords: butternut squash curry