Chocolate tiffin is a fabulous dessert that consists of a base of crushed cookies and raisins surrounded in rich chocolate with a thick topping of melted chocolate.
It’s a Scottish recipe that’s also very popular in Britain. They sell a vegan version at an Organic Cafe that I go to and the moment I ate it for the first time I knew I had to make it for the blog!
This stuff is amazing!
Chocolate tiffin is usually made with digestive biscuits. And by the way ‘biscuit’ in Brit speak (or South African speak for that matter) means cookie!
But I’ve seen it made with shortbread and various other types of biscuit (cookie).
So I decided to make it with my shortbread cookies since I couldn’t find vegan digestives.
So just a note that if you can buy vegan shortbread cookies or vegan digestives, then you can use those if you prefer instead of making cookies from scratch.
Once you have your cookies, whether baked from scratch or store bought, putting this recipe together is the easiest thing ever and comes together in minutes.
Crush your cookies, being sure to leave some nice chunks in there too. I found the food processor made the cookie crumbs too fine, I wanted to have more chunky pieces, so I tried putting the cookies into a ziplock bag and then rolling over it with the pestle from a mortar and pestle (but a rolling pin would also work great here) to crush the cookies but still leave some good chunks in there. This worked perfectly.
Then you just melt together some vegan butter, syrup, brown sugar and cocoa powder. When it’s all melted into a thick chocolate sauce, you add the crushed shortbread cookies together with some raisins. Stir in so that everything is coated, and then pour out into a loaf pan.
Put it into the fridge to set and when set, melt some chocolate and pour it over the top. Let that set, and then slice it up into squares and you have chocolate tiffin!
I used parchment paper held in place by some handy pegs, which made it really easy to lift the whole block out of the loaf pan.
And then a heated knife (heated by dipping in boiling water from the kettle and then dried off with a paper towel) lets you slice the tiffin neatly into squares.
This chocolate tiffin is very rich, my squares were really quite huge considering how rich a dessert this is.
So you could cut smaller squares if you’re not as well trained in the art of dessert eating.
You will love this chocolate tiffin, it is:
- Packed with shortbread cookies and raisins in delicious chocolate!
- Super easy
Keep your tiffin squares in the fridge as the chocolate will melt if they’re left out.
So what do you think of this chocolate tiffin recipe? Let me know in the comments.
If you make this, let me know how it turned out! And if you take any pics, tag me #lovingitvegan on instagram so I get to see them!
And if you haven’t already then subscribe to our mailing list. You’ll get a gorgeous free ebook containing 10 fabulous recipes and you’ll stay up to date with all our latest recipes!Print
Rich, chocolatey and super easy vegan chocolate tiffin squares. Packed with shortbread and raisins and topped with rich dark chocolate.
- Crush the shortbread cookies by placing them into a ziplock bag and rolling over them with a rolling pin or pestle so that they are crumbly but still have some chunks remaining.
- Then add the vegan butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and cocoa powder to a pot or saucepan.
- Heat up stirring gently until it melts into a thick hot chocolate sauce.
- Turn off the heat and add the crushed shortbread and the raisins. Stir so that everything is well covered in chocolate.
- Pour out into a parchment lined loaf pan and smooth down with a spoon. Place into the fridge to set.
- Once set, melt the chocolate in the microwave by heating for 30 second intervals and then stirring until it’s completely melted. Pour over the top of the tiffin base and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Return to the fridge and allow to set completely before slicing into squares.
*If you’re making my vegan shortbread cookies recipe, then this makes the perfect amount, and you just use all of them.
*Prep time does not include baking the shortbread cookies, or time spent setting in the fridge.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Square (of 10)
- Calories: 330
- Sugar: 20.9g
- Sodium: 217mg
- Fat: 20.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrates: 35.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g