Recently we had an all-too-brief holiday in Bali. After spending a few days at the beach, we headed away from the crowds and into the relative quiet amongst the rice paddies in Ubud.
Wow, what a beautiful place! And let me tell you, it’s a good place for vegan food!
There was this gorgeous little coconut shop, selling everything to do with coconuts, from whole coconuts to coconut ice cream.
And Oh. My. Word was their coconut ice cream good! Like….the best ever.
They serve their coconut ice cream as a single scoop in a little ice cream cup with those little wooden ice cream sticks, and sprinkled on top is the most glorious toasted coconut topping.
Now, we ended up leaving Bali ahead of schedule so I didn’t get to eat NEARLY as much of this coconut ice cream as I was planning to, but this coconut ice cream and topping was lingering on in my mind as a food highlight of that trip. And I wanted to try and recreate it.
So, since lately I’ve been making quite a few ice creams, like a vanilla coconut and a mint chocolate chip, I thought I would go ahead and make a purely coconut version. No other flavorings, just a beautifully delicious coconut blank slate that would be just perfect for a toasted coconut topping!
I think I recreated it pretty well. Probably not exactly, as I’m sure they have some secrets up their sleeve in that Ubud cafe, but my version is pretty damn delicious too.
The ice cream is really basic, just 4-ingredients, and that is topped with the super simple 2-ingredient toasted coconut topping.
You can just take a scoop of this and pretend you’re up in the mountains in Ubud!
It’s getting so hot in Dubai right now, (and it’s only May for goodness sake!) that you can see in these photos, the ice cream was melting faster than we could get the photos taken!
Literally, the minute the ice cream left the freezer it was starting to melt.
So really it’s a great time to be eating ice cream (maybe not the best time to be photographing it – but eating it yes!)
If you love coconuts and tropical islands, then you will love this gorgeous coconut ice cream. The coconut ice cream alone is smooth, ultra-creamy and ridiculously good, but add the toasted coconut topping and it’s swoon city. Hee hee, can’t believe I said ‘swoon city’.
There’s one I’ve promised my sister I won’t use though, and that’s ‘more-ish’. Hahaha! That’s her pet-hate. (Whoops, was randomly looking at some of my recipes and found one for Spicy Tahini Noodles where I did indeed use the word ‘more-ish’. Well what can I say – it really was ‘more-ish’ )
So go make some coconut ice cream why don’t you? And leave us a comment. And give us a rating. And tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram. And that’s all for the demands. For now. #superdemandingfoodbloggers #reallygratefulthoughPrint
Smooth and ultra-creamy coconut ice cream with toasted coconut topping. Dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan!
- For the Coconut Ice Cream:
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Milk
- 1 14oz (400ml) Can Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup (100g) Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Golden Syrup or any syrup of your choice
- For the Toasted Coconut Topping:
- 1/2 cup (40g) Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup (30g) Coconut Sugar
- The night before you want to have ice cream, place the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer.
- Then in a pot, heat up the coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar and golden syrup (or other syrup) to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- As soon as it reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and blend with a handheld (immersion) blender for 30 seconds.
- If you don’t have a handheld blender, then transfer the mixture to a blender jug and blend it in there, just make sure the lid is firmly closed.
- Pour the mixture into a container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the freezer bowl from the freezer, and get your ice cream machine ready.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn according to your ice cream makers manufacturer instructions. It should be around 25-40 minutes to reach soft serve consistency.
- As soon as it reaches soft serve consistency, transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container, smooth it out, cover with foil and place into the freezer to set firmly. This can take 4-6 hours or even longer depending on the coldness of your freezer.
- When you’re ready to make the toasted coconut topping, place the shredded coconut onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven at 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius) for 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until it’s golden brown and toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Then add the toasted coconut to the food processor along with the coconut sugar and process until fine.
- Store in an airtight jar.
- Serve the ice cream with sprinkled toasted coconut topping.
*The full recipe for Toasted Coconut with photos of the steps can be found here: Toasted Coconut Topping.
*Basic Ice Cream Recipe adapted from my Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 302
- Sugar: 22.6g
- Fat: 21.7g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6g
- Protein: 2g