Recently we had an all-too-brief holiday in Bali. After spending a few days at the beach, we headed away from the crowds and into the relative quiet amongst the rice paddies in Ubud.
Wow, what a beautiful place! And let me tell you, it’s a good place for vegan food!
There was this gorgeous little coconut shop, selling everything to do with coconuts, from whole coconuts to coconut ice cream.
And Oh. My. Word was their vegan coconut ice cream good! Like….the best ever.
They serve their coconut ice cream as a single scoop in a little ice cream cup with those little wooden ice cream sticks, and sprinkled on top is the most glorious toasted coconut topping.
We ended up leaving Bali ahead of schedule so I didn’t get to eat NEARLY as much of this coconut ice cream as I was planning to, but this ice cream and topping was lingering on in my mind as a food highlight of that trip. And I wanted to try and recreate it.
No other flavorings, just a beautifully delicious coconut blank slate that would be just perfect for a toasted coconut topping!
I think I recreated it pretty well. Probably not exactly, as I’m sure they have some secrets up their sleeve in that Ubud cafe, but my version is pretty damn delicious too.
This coconut ice cream is really basic, just 4-ingredients, and that is topped with the super simple 2-ingredient toasted coconut topping.
You can just take a scoop of this and pretend you’re up in the mountains in Ubud!
It was so hot when we took these photos that the ice cream was melting faster than we could get the photos taken!
Literally, the minute the ice cream left the freezer it was starting to melt.
So really it was a great time to be eating ice cream. Maybe not the best time to be photographing it – but eating it yes!
If you love coconuts and tropical islands, then you will love this gorgeous vegan coconut ice cream. The coconut ice cream alone is smooth, ultra-creamy and ridiculously good, but add the toasted coconut topping and it’s swoon city. Hee hee, can’t believe I said ‘swoon city’.
There’s one I’ve promised my sister I won’t use though, and that’s ‘more-ish’. Hahaha! That’s her pet-hate. (Whoops, was randomly looking at some of my older recipes and found one for Spicy Tahini Noodles where I did indeed use the word ‘more-ish’. Well what can I say – it really was ‘more-ish’ )
More vegan ice cream
We’ve done loads of flavors! If you love peanut butter then you’re going to love our vegan peanut butter ice cream. Our decadent vegan chocolate ice cream is just like the name suggests, crazy rich and decadent! You will love it!
Our vegan salted caramel ice cream has all the caramel flavor you could dream of and there’s even an optional salted caramel sauce! Our vegan cookies and cream ice cream and our peanut butter banana ice cream don’t even need to be churned.
So let us know what you think of this vegan coconut ice cream in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thanks so much.
Sign up to our email list for a fabulous (and free) recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes and we’ll keep you updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.
Smooth and ultra-creamy vegan coconut ice cream sprinkled with toasted coconut. This vegan ice cream has the perfect texture and only 4-ingredients.
- The night before you want to have ice cream, place the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker into the freezer.
- Then in a pot, heat up the coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar and syrup to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- As soon as it reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and blend with a handheld (immersion) blender for 30 seconds.
- If you don’t have a handheld blender, then transfer the mixture to a blender jug and blend it in there, just make sure the lid is firmly closed.
- Pour the mixture into a container with a lid and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the freezer bowl from the freezer, and get your ice cream machine ready.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream machine and churn according to your ice cream makers manufacturer instructions. It should be around 25-40 minutes to reach soft serve consistency.
- As soon as it reaches soft serve consistency, transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container, smooth it out, cover with foil and place into the freezer to set firmly. This can take 4-6 hours or even longer depending on your freezer.
- Prepare your toasted coconut topping as per the linked recipe.
- Serve the ice cream with sprinkled toasted coconut sprinkled on top.
*Nutritional information is for the vegan coconut ice cream only, nutritional information for the toasted coconut topping can be found on that recipe.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 19.9g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Fat: 19.3g
- Saturated Fat: 15.8g
- Carbohydrates: 21.5g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 1.2g
Keywords: vegan coconut ice cream