These vegan coffee cupcakes are deliciously coffee flavored and topped with a coffee buttercream frosting. Perfectly moist and and totally divine!
For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Canola Oil*
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal + 3 Tbsp Hot Water)
For the Coffee Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkle Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix in.
- Mix the instant coffee with the 2 Tbsp of Hot Water into a thick paste and then mix into the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk). Add to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla, oil and vinegar.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy and then add it in.
- Whisk the batter with a hand whisk briefly just to remove lumps. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar and vegan butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix the instant coffee with 1 Tbsp of soy milk and the vanilla until no lumps remain. Add this in. Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. Add the remaining Tbsp of soy milk if needed. If your frosting is too thin add in more powdered sugar, if it is too thick, add in a little more soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency. It should be very thick for best results.*
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with a little cinnamon.
*Weigh the flour for accuracy or make sure to use the correct method for measuring flour which is the spoon and level method.
*Canola oil can be replaced with vegetable oil.
*Vegan butter products can have a lot of variety in water content, which is why the amount of soy milk added needs to be flexible. You may even need more than the amount specified or you may need less.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 47.4g
- Sodium: 260mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 65.3g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: vegan coffee cupcakes