Perfectly moist and richly flavored vegan coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream frosting. Deliciously rich and fabulous sprinkled with a little cinnamon.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg
- For the Coffee Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- To Decorate:
- Sprinkle Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix in.
- Mix the instant coffee with the 2 Tbsp of Hot Water into a thick paste and then mix into the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk). Add to the mixing bowl along with the vanilla, vegetable oil and vinegar.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy and then add it in.
- Whisk the batter with a hand whisk briefly just to remove lumps. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and place into the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving the cupcakes to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar and vegan butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix the instant coffee with the soy milk and vanilla until no lumps remain. Add this in. Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin add in more powdered sugar, if it is too thick, add in a little more soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency. It should be very thick for best results.
- Frost the cupcakes and decorate with a little cinnamon.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 47.4g
- Sodium: 260mg
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrates: 65.3g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 3g