My sister used to make this amazingly decadent savory tart using pastry and asparagus and white sauce. Oh my it was delicious!
This was in the pre-vegan days so I have no idea if her recipe can be veganized (will have to try sometime!)
But anyway, that asparagus tart memory made me want to try something with asparagus and white sauce, and this creamy asparagus pasta was the result!
Asparagus is a strange vegetable. Well eating it isn’t the strange part, it’s what happens afterwards!
I remember getting a meal plan from a personal trainer years ago and it contained heaps of asparagus. She told me it was because of the diuretic properties of asparagus, bodybuilders love this stuff!
Well, a little bit of a natural diuretic can be nice for everyone from time to time, especially if you think you’re retaining a bit of water!
But that’s not why you should make this creamy asparagus pasta recipe, you should make it because it’s super easy and super delicious!
The asparagus is brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and black pepper and then roasted in the oven for 10-12 minutes until perfectly roasted.
While that is roasting you cook up some penne, and if you’re good at multitasking then you can whip up some white sauce at the same time!
Even if multitasking isn’t your kitchen specialty, this meal will still be ready in 40 minutes.
Serve with some vegan parmesan for extra deliciousness!
The prep for this meal is quite hands on, as you need to be stirring that white sauce constantly, but it comes together quickly and it’s fun to make.
The result is a deliciously creamy, rich meal that is ideal as an entree and easily serves 4 since it’s very rich and satisfying.
Serve with a side salad for a well-balanced and satisfying plant-based evening meal.
You will love this asparagus pasta recipe, it is:
- Insanely delicious!
I’d love to know what you think of this creamy asparagus pasta recipe! If you have any questions or comments please post them below, we’d love to hear from you.
If you make this recipe, come back and rate it and let us know how it worked out.
And if you happen to take any pics, please tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can admire them!Print
Creamy asparagus pasta, a hearty and deliciously satisfying plant-based entree! Ready in 30-40 minutes, filling, flavorful and vegan.
- Place the asparagus onto a parchment lined baking tray. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Bake in the oven at 425°F (220°C) for 10-12 minutes until soft and cooked.
- Cook the penne according to package instructions.
- Heat up the oil for the white sauce in a pot. When the oil is hot, add the flour and stirring constantly fry the flour in the oil for a few minutes, do not let it burn.
- Add the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk) and stirring all the while bring to the boil and continue stirring until the sauce begins to thicken. Continue to stir until desired consistency is reached, bearing in mind that it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Add sea salt, black pepper and mustard to taste.
- Stir in the asparagus and then add the penne and toss together.
- Serve with some vegan parmesan cheese.
*The white sauce is from my Vegan White Sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 365
- Sugar: 5.3g
- Sodium: 273mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 52.5g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Protein: 11.9g