This double thick chocolate shake has a whole lot to recommend it. Not only is it smooth, creamy, dreamy, dark chocolatey deliciousness, it’s healthy too!
Yes indeed! It be healthy my friends!
While it might look (and taste) like a double thick chocolate milkshake served up at any diner, what it actually is, is a fruit-filled body-lovin’ ridiculously good-for-you health-fest extravaganza!
With just 4-ingredients: frozen bananas, dates, almond milk and cocoa (or cacao), this is a shake that you’ll wanna make on the regular!
I’ve been having these shakes for yonks now.
After discovering that frozen bananas when blended were the consistency of ice cream, and with some dates and cocoa could be turned into chocolate ice cream, my excitement was so great that I must say I made these for every dinner guest we ever had for roughly 3 years.
When I was getting really crazy with it, then I’d layer it with some homemade almond butter (delicious but really rich).
I mean I was so enamoured with these shakes I wasn’t even interested in branching out into other raw desserts. I had discovered the holy grail of dessert recipes and I was donezo!
Moral of the story? These shakes are that good.
For the sake of this blog it’s good that I did branch out into all kinds of other vegan delights, but nonetheless I am proud to bring you this fabulous chocolate shake that I’m betting you’ll fall just as in love with as I did.
So let us know how you like this recipe by leaving a comment.
And if, I mean when, you make this shake, let us know how it goes by rating this recipe! Snap a photo for instagram and tag it #lovingitvegan so we can also see your delicious chocolate shake!
Eat it with a spoon, or drink it with a straw (da thick one, for da thick shakes) and if this is the first time you’re having frozen bananas in a shake like this, well, you’re in for a treat.
You’ll be making it for your dinner guests for the next few years and excitedly asking them to GUESS, just GUESS the main ingredient!
Enjoy me lovelies. xxx
- 10.5 oz (300g) Frozen Banana
- 2 oz (40g) Dates (approx 5 small dates)
- ½ cup (120ml) Almond Milk
- 4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- For Decoration/Toppings (optional):
- Sprinkle of cacao nibs
- Maraschino Cherries
- Date Syrup or Chocolate Syrup (for the glass)
- Add almond milk to the blender jug along with cocoa powder. Blend
- Add dates to the blender jug and blend again.
- Lastly add the frozen banana and using your blender's stick attachment (if you have one) push the frozen banana down onto the blades and blend until very thick and smooth.
- If you don't have a stick attachment (like for a Vitamix) then pulse blend until all the pieces of frozen banana have been broken down and then blend on full until smooth.
- If you don't have a powerful blender, then add the frozen bananas in stages, blending as you go. You may need to add a little more almond milk in this case, but will still get a thick shake.
- Decorate two small serving glasses with some date syrup or vegan chocolate syrup and scoop the blended shake into the glasses evenly.
- Top with some cacao nibs and a maraschino cherry.
*Bananas need to freeze at least overnight to get to the right consistency for this shake.
*Nutritional information is based on 1 shake (of 2) without toppings.