The easiest vegan chickpea burgers! Deliciously savory, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, packed with flavor and veggie burger goodness.
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic and add to a frying pan with 1 tsp avocado oil and fry until just before they start to brown.
- Drain the can of chickpeas and add the chickpeas to a food processor with the cooked onions/garlic, paprika, coriander powder, cumin, freshly chopped cilantro and flour and process it into a thick burger batter.
- Sprinkle flour over a baking tray and cover your hands with it as well. Scoop the batter out onto the tray in 4 even sections, roll in the flour and form into 4 balls.
- If the batter is very sticky or too wet, add more flour so that it easily forms a ball.
- Take a square of parchment paper, place on top of each ball and press down on it with the bottom of a glass to flatten it into a burger shape.
- Place the baking tray with the 4 burgers into the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add 2 Tbsp avocado oil to a frying pan and heat up until hot.
- Add all 4 burgers to the frying pan and fry on each side turning regularly until browned and crispy, roughly 5 minutes on each side.
- If you want your burgers extra firm and crispy you can place on a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns with sliced avocado, crispy lettuce, sliced tomato, ketchup and mustard.
*If your canned chickpeas don’t contain salt, you might need to add some salt.
*If you’re making this gluten-free then use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend.
*Nutritional information is for the chickpea burger patties only, without the burger buns and additions.
*Prep time is only for the actual hands on prep, it doesn’t include time spent chilling in the fridge.
*Recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Burger (of 4)
- Calories: 196
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 158mg
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 22.3g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Protein: 5.6g
Keywords: chickpea burgers, vegan chickpea burgers