Kale chips. Exactly what you need when you want something very healthy that also tastes like delicious junk food.
Well… maybe I’m overstretching. Just a tiny bit. I mean it is still kale. It’s not going to taste like fried potato chips.
BUT let me tell you, this is the most delicious way to eat kale, ever.
These kale chips are super easy, deliciously cheesy and they have all that crisp factor of a bag of….chips!
There are a few tricks to getting the perfect batch of kale chips.
I used curly kale which I reckon is probably best here. One head of kale will give you two batches of kale chips. You can do both batches back to back, which is what I did.
First, you have to separate the leaves from the stems. Those giant thick kale stems just don’t work here.
The easy way to do this is to grab the stem tightly with your fingers and then quickly slide them upwards, removing the leaves as you go.
Then, you wash those leaves and dry them more thoroughly than you’ve ever dried anything. This is because any water remaining on your leaves will result in soggy kale chips.
I found that after washing them I had to spin them in a salad spinner and then roll them in paper towels to get them properly dry. The salad spinner on its own wasn’t sufficient. Good first step though!
Once your leaves are dry, you separate them into two batches. Place the first batch into a bowl and add olive oil, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika and some sea salt. Rub this into the leaves.
Then spread out evenly on a parchment lined baking tray and bake at low heat for 25 minutes.
Repeat for the second batch and there you have it. Healthy snacks!
The nutritional yeast is responsible for the cheesy factor and oh wow it’s wonderfully cheesy!
You’ll love these easy cheesy kale chips, they are:
- Super cheesy
Enjoy these chips anytime you’d generally enjoy some crispy chips or just have them as a healthy snack.
If you make these, tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram so we can see them! And leave a comment and rate this recipe too. Thanks so much!
Easy and super cheesy kale chips. These kale chips are crispy, savory and healthy not to mention gluten-free and vegan! Ideal as a healthy snack.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the leaves from the stems and then wash and thoroughly dry the leaves.
- Separate the leaves into two equal batches.
- Place the first batch into a bowl and add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast, 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Rub into the leaves.
- Place the leaves onto a parchment lined baking sheet, ensuring that they’re spaced evenly over the sheet and the leaves are not too crowded.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Repeat for the second half of the bunch of curly kale leaves.
*Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows.
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 4)
- Calories: 106
- Sugar: 1.4g
- Sodium: 176mg
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 7.1g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 4.6g