This General Tso’s tofu is savory, sweet, spicy and so delicious it will likely go straight onto your regular dinner rotation. Super flavorful and high in protein too.
Oh tofu how I love thee.
Well… how I love thee when thee is made like this!
I reckon anyone would when it’s made like this.
This General Tso’s tofu is deliciously battered and fried until crispy and then drenched in the most amazing sauce. It’s savory and sweet with the perfect amount of spice and all things nice.
It’s also pretty quick to make and super high in protein. So basically, you are going to love it!
How to make General Tso’s Tofu
Press the tofu first. The best way to do this is to use a tofu press. But if you don’t have a tofu press no worries at all, just place your tofu on a plate with another plate on top of it and then place something heavy on top of that (like a heavy pot).
Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then drain off the excess water.
Cut the tofu into cubes and place into a container that has a lid.
Add some sesame oil, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, and then seal the container and then gently rotate the container so that the tofu gets evenly covered with the oil and maple syrup and cayenne. You don’t want to violently shake the container or anything, as you want those cubes of tofu to stay nicely intact.
Then open the container and add in some cornstarch and repeat the rotating of the container until all that tofu (sticky from the maple syrup) is coated in cornstarch.
Then you fry the tofu in a hot pan with some sesame oil until it’s golden brown and delicious. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
Now add some sesame oil, crushed garlic, minced ginger and dried red chili flakes to the pan and fry those until aromatic.
Add the tofu back in.
Pour over a sauce made from rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, onion powder, coconut sugar, cornstarch and vegetable stock and flash fry for 1 minute to coat the tofu with the sauce.
Don’t fry the tofu too long once the sauce is added or the batter will start to strip off the tofu, so make this really fast, you just want that sauce to go into a hot pan and flash fry quickly so that it can thicken and blend the flavors beautifully and then you’re done!
How to serve General Tso’s Tofu
Serve it over some basmati rice with some chopped chives on top. If you prefer cauliflower rice you can definitely serve it over that too.
Some fresh lime is also great to serve with this.
You will love this recipe for General Tso’s Tofu! It is:
- Sweet and spicy
- Extremely flavorful
- High in protein
- Easy to make
Keep leftovers in the fridge and enjoy within the next few (2-3) days.
More tofu recipes
Let us know in the comments what you think of this General Tso’s tofu and please rate the recipe too, thank you!
Sign up to our email list to stay updated with all our latest recipes when they’re posted to the blog and we’ll also send you a gorgeous recipe ebook with 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes.
This General Tso’s tofu is savory, sweet and spicy and so delicious it will likely go straight onto your regular dinner rotation. Super flavorful and high in protein too.
For the Tofu:
- 16oz (450g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (for frying)
For the Garlic, Ginger and Spices:
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
For the Sauce:
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes either using a tofu press or by placing the tofu onto a plate with another plate on top of it and then putting something heavy on top like a heavy pot. While the tofu is pressing, you can prepare your sauce by just mixing all the ingredients up in a measuring jug. Set aside.
- When the tofu is pressed, cut it into cubes and place it into a container with a lid. Add sesame oil, maple syrup and cayenne pepper and then seal the container and gently rotate it so that the tofu is evenly coated.
- Then add in the cornstarch to the container, 1 tablespoon at a time and gently toss until the tofu is well coated.
- Add the sesame oil to a frying pan and when hot add in the battered tofu and gently fry until golden brown. Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Add the sesame oil, minced ginger, crushed garlic and red chili flakes to the frying pan and fry until toasted and then add the tofu back in.
- Pour over the sauce and flash fry for 1 minute to coat the tofu with the sauce. Don’t fry it for too long or the batter will start coming off the tofu.
- Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower rice and some chopped chives.
*Use gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you want to make this meal gluten-free.
*Check the hoisin sauce for vegan friendliness as not all brands are vegan.
*Prep time includes the time spent pressing the tofu.
*Nutritional information does not include rice.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 665mg
- Fat: 20.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 14.6g
Keywords: General Tso's Tofu