This General Tso’s tofu is savory, sweet and spicy and so delicious it will likely go straight onto your regular dinner rotation. Super flavorful and high in protein too.
For the Tofu:
- 16oz (450g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (for frying)
For the Garlic, Ginger and Spices:
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced Ginger
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Flakes
For the Sauce:
- Press the tofu for 30 minutes either using a tofu press or by placing the tofu onto a plate with another plate on top of it and then putting something heavy on top like a heavy pot. While the tofu is pressing, you can prepare your sauce by just mixing all the ingredients up in a measuring jug. Set aside.
- When the tofu is pressed, cut it into cubes and place it into a container with a lid. Add sesame oil, maple syrup and cayenne pepper and then seal the container and gently rotate it so that the tofu is evenly coated.
- Then add in the cornstarch to the container, 1 tablespoon at a time and gently toss until the tofu is well coated.
- Add the sesame oil to a frying pan and when hot add in the battered tofu and gently fry until golden brown. Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Add the sesame oil, minced ginger, crushed garlic and red chili flakes to the frying pan and fry until toasted and then add the tofu back in.
- Pour over the sauce and flash fry for 1 minute to coat the tofu with the sauce. Don’t fry it for too long or the batter will start coming off the tofu.
- Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower rice and some chopped chives.
*Use gluten-free soy sauce or switch for tamari if you want to make this meal gluten-free.
*Check the hoisin sauce for vegan friendliness as not all brands are vegan.
*Prep time includes the time spent pressing the tofu.
*Nutritional information does not include rice.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 324
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 665mg
- Fat: 20.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 19.8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Protein: 14.6g
Keywords: General Tso's Tofu