Gorgeous 2-layer moist and delicious vegan and gluten-free chocolate cake. Frosted with a rich and creamy chocolate ganache frosting this cake is ideal for any special occasion.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (204g) Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp (10ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Olive Oil*
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg
For the Chocolate Ganache Frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or 180°C).
- Grease two 7-inch round cake tins with coconut oil or non-stick spray and cut out two circles of parchment paper to line the bottoms.
- Sift the gluten free flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute.
- Pour in the soy milk (or other non-dairy milk), vanilla extract, olive oil, white vinegar and applesauce and mix.
- Add the flax egg and mix in.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and place into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes check if they are ready by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean it’s ready. If not, put it back in for another 5 minutes and then check again.
- Move to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache frosting by adding the coconut cream and coconut oil to a pot on the stove and heating to just prior to boiling (it should have just started to simmer).
- Remove from the stove and pour out the hot liquid over broken up pieces of dark chocolate in a bowl.
- Allow to sit for a minute for the chocolate to melt.
- Whisk up into smooth chocolate.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and whisk again with an electric whisk.
- Place the chocolate ganache into the refrigerator to firm up for about an hour, this will be when the cake is cooling anyway.
- When the frosting is cooled and firm, whisk it up again with an electric whisk until it’s the right consistency to spread onto cake. If it’s too thin, add another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to reach the right frosting consistency.
- Frost onto the cooled cake.
- This cake will keep properly covered in a cake dish for a few days, but of course it’s best when fresh.
*I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Blend in this recipe.
*You can switch the oil for canola oil or another vegetable oil of your choice. If you want to use coconut oil then make sure it’s melted first.
*Adapted from my Classic Vegan Chocolate Cake recipe.
*Prep time is for cake only and does not include the chocolate ganache frosting.
*Nutrition estimate is based on 1 slice of 10 with a generous (very generous) amount of vegan chocolate ganache frosting.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 607
- Sugar: 49.3g
- Sodium: 310mg
- Fat: 35.2g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7.3g
Keywords: gluten free chocolate cake