These vegan matcha cupcakes have a delicious and subtle green tea flavor. They are moist, fluffy and perfect and topped with a gorgeous matcha frosting.
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) All Purpose Flour*
- 1 cup (200g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 1 cup (240ml) Vegan Buttermilk (1 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar + Soy Milk* up to the 1 cup (240ml) line
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 4 cups (480g) Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 2–3 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift the all purpose flour into a mixing bowl and add the white granulated sugar, baking soda, salt and matcha powder. Mix together.
- Prepare your vegan buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup (240ml) line. Let it sit for a minute to thicken and curdle.
- Add the vegan buttermilk, canola oil and vanilla extract and mix into a batter. Don’t over-mix.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcake liners in your cupcake tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Let them cool for a few minutes in the cupcake tray and then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Add vegan butter, powdered sugar, matcha powder and 2 tablespoons soy milk to the bowl of your stand mixer. Starting at slow speed, gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If it’s too thick, add the extra tablespoon of soy milk.
- When the cupcakes have cooled completely, pipe on the frosting.
*Measure the flour properly. If you have a food scale then weigh out your flour for perfect accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, then use the ‘spoon and level‘ method. Spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop the flour and don’t pack it into the cup.
*Storing. Keep them covered at room temperature where they will stay fresh for 2-3 days or keep them covered in the fridge where they will stay good for up to a week.
*Freezing. They are also freezer friendly for up to 3 months (either frosted or unfrosted).
*This recipe was first published in August 2017. It has been updated with new photos and tips.
- Category: Dessert, Cupcakes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 55.8g
- Sodium: 300mg
- Fat: 17.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 73.2g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: vegan matcha cupcakes