These delicious homemade vegan twix bars have a crunchy shortbread base and a creamy caramel center smothered in vegan chocolate.
For the Shortbread Base:
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
For the Caramel:
For the Chocolate Topping:
- 2 and 1/4 cups (400g) Vegan Chocolate (Chopped) or Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper leaving overhang over the sides.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar and salt. Add the vegan butter and mix in with your fingers. It will first go crumbly and then gradually form into a dough.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan.
- Place into the oven to cook for 20 minutes until lightly browned on top. Leave on the counter to cool completely before adding the caramel.
- Add melted coconut butter to a bowl and then add the maple syrup and vanilla and stir in. Pour over the shortbread base and smooth down. Place into the freezer to set.
- When the caramel has set firmly, lift the twix out of the loaf pan using the parchment paper overhang. Cut into 10 bars and place them onto a parchment lined baking tray.
- Melt the vegan chocolate or chocolate chips in the microwave by microwaving and then stopping to stir every 30 seconds until entirely melted. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Dip the twix bars in the chocolate so that they are fully covered in chocolate and then place onto a parchment lined baking tray. Be careful to do it fast so that the bars don’t break up in the warm chocolate.
- When all the bars are covered in chocolate, use the remaining chocolate to patch up any gaps in coverage and to drizzle over the top of the bars and then let them set in the fridge.
- When set, transfer to a container and keep them stored in the fridge where they will last for at least a week.
*It must be coconut butter and will say coconut butter on the jar. The best way to melt it is to stand the jar in a bowl of hot water and then stir it regularly until it’s well mixed. You can also make your own homemade coconut butter.
*Shortbread Crust adapted from our Vegan Shortbread Cookies.
*Caramel center adapted from our Vegan Caramel Sauce.
*Prep time does not include time spent cooling and setting.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Twix Bar (of 10)
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 22g
- Sodium: 106mg
- Fat: 34g
- Saturated Fat: 20.8g
- Carbohydrates: 39.6g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: vegan twix