Easy step by step instructions to DIY vegan buttermilk. Perfect for use in cakes and baking.
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- Soy Milk
- Squeeze a half lemon, which will make roughly 1 Tbsp (15ml) of Lemon Juice (if it makes a little more that’s fine you can use it all)
- Pour the lemon juice into a measuring jug.
- Add soy milk up to the 1 cup line.
- Allow to sit for a minute.
- It will thicken and curdle.
- Your vegan buttermilk is ready to go!
*Not my original recipe, but a staple in vegan baking, adapted for my own purposes.
*You can also use vinegar in place of the lemon juice. So 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar in place of lemon juice will also make buttermilk.
- Category: Vegan, How To
- Cuisine: Vegan, Baking
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 105
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 7g
Keywords: vegan buttermilk