This easy vegan chocolate frosting is buttery, chocolatey, rich and creamy to the extreme! Perfect for use on cakes, cupcakes and cookies.
This super simple vegan chocolate frosting is absolutely gorgeous on…. you guessed it – a vegan chocolate cake!
What you’ll love about this frosting is that it’s so easy and quick to prepare, and the result is rich, chocolatey, smooth and creamy, with a hint of buttercream richness and hints of vanilla.
The recipe is a simple 5-ingredient mix of powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vegan butter, vanilla and non-dairy milk (any non-dairy milk will do).
It’s divine on a chocolate cake, but of course you can mix and match and use it on a vanilla cake too.
It’s also perfect to pipe onto cupcakes and holds up really well. The ideal is to make it as thick as possible, but still spreadable.
I have on occasion made it too thick so that once it goes into the piping syringe it won’t come out again! It’s just too thick. If that happens, add some more non-dairy milk, a drop or two at a time until you get the right consistency. And if it happens to end up too thin, add more powdered sugar until it’s the right thickness again.
With a bit of flexibility to get the right texture, this is really a foolproof recipe.
I think you are going to really love this vegan chocolate frosting and it’s one you’ll come back to again and again! It is:
- Super Rich
- Extremely chocolatey
- So easy
If you refrigerate this frosting, it gets a delicious crystalized texture on the edges, which I love and is so great on cakes.
And once your cake is frosted, you get to decorate it, and that is too much fun! My latest favorite decorating technique – melted chocolate drizzled over this frosting with chocolate chips sprinkled over the top! So decadent.
Also it suits my decorating style which leans more towards the messy side of things.
More Vegan Frosting Recipes
- Vegan Vanilla Frosting
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Vegan Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Vegan Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and rating below!
How To Make Vegan Chocolate Frosting
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vegan butter, vanilla and around half the soy milk to the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Start mixing on low, gradually moving to a higher setting until thick, smooth and creamy. Add the extra soy milk in slowly, only as much as needed (see notes).
- It should be thick, but still be easily spreadable so it won’t go sliding off a cake. So if it’s not thick enough, add a little more powdered sugar.
- I usually use 5 Tablespoons soy milk in this recipe, but different brands of vegan butters have different water contents, so if you’re using one with a higher water content and use all 5 Tbsp soy milk, you might have a consistency that is too runny. So start off slow and only add in all the soy milk if you need to. You want your frosting to be thick, but still spreadable.