Make vegan whipped cream from coconut cream. Better than any whipped cream you’ve had before! Easy step by step instructions.
- Place the can of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator and leave it there overnight.
- The next day, take it out and carefully open it (don’t shake it around!).
- You’ll see that the cream part has separated from the water and risen to the top.
- Scoop that out into the bowl of an electric mixer, leaving the water behind. You can use the water in a smoothie or throw it out.
- Starting at slow speed gradually increase speed until you achieve a whipped cream consistency.
- The harder the consistency of the cream when you scoop it out, the quicker this will be.
- Once you have whipped cream consistency, you can stop right there. You’re done! OR:
- Add some powdered sugar and vanilla for a sweetened cream.
- Whisk again until mixed in.
*This is not my original recipe, it’s a staple recipe in vegan baking that I’ve adapted for my own purposes.
*I have heard of cases where the coconut cream and water doesn’t separate, this would mean you got a dud can. It has never happened to me, and I believe it’s rare! But for this reason, have a back up can in the refrigerator – you can always use the dud for making a creamy sauce.
*The best results come about in this recipe when the cream is very firm to start off with. If your cream is floppier when you start, you’ll have to whip it for longer, and even then, it might not reach your desired firmness. If you need a ‘fix’ for a batch that won’t firm up enough, you can add 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum, just be careful because this can sometimes firm it up more than you want it to! But this works as a fix.
*I’ve done it with a hand whisk and it is possible, but generally only in cases where the cream is quite firm and hard to start with. Even then it uses a lot of arm power.
- Category: Desserts, How To
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: vegan whipped cream