This vegan lentil bolognese is the best ever! It’s hearty and veggie packed and satisfying. Vegans and non-vegans alike will love this comfort food classic!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Large Carrots (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Stalks Celery (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 cup (130g) Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp White Miso Paste*
- 1 cup (200g) Dried Brown Lentils
- 3 cups (720ml) Vegetable Stock
- 1 14oz (400g) Can Chopped Tomato
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar*
For Serving (Optional):
- 8oz (220g) Dried Spaghetti (cook according to package instructions)
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese (Grated)
- Fresh Parsley
- Add the olive oil to a pot along with the crushed garlic, finely chopped onion, dried basil, dried oregano and dried rosemary and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add in the finely chopped carrot, celery and red bell pepper along with the tomato paste, white miso paste and dried brown lentils.
- Add the vegetable stock and canned chopped tomato and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer until the lentils are soft but firm (about 35 minutes).
- Add the coconut sugar and stir in.
- Serve with spaghetti and top with a little grated vegan parmesan and some fresh parsley.
*You can actually use any color miso paste for this bolognese but we used white miso paste.
*The coconut sugar is just for flavor balance. You can also use brown sugar.
*Nutritional information is for the bolognese only and does not include spaghetti or vegan parmesan.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 370
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 980mg
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 60.1g
- Fiber: 11.4g
- Protein: 16.7g
Keywords: lentil bolognese, vegan lentil bolognese