When you want something super healthy and high in protein that still easily fits into the realm of comfort food, then you want some lentil dal!
This deliciously spicy, creamy and comforting coconut red lentil dal is exactly what you’re looking for!
Served with or without rice (I prefer it plain, no rice, whereas Jaye is a fan of the rice) and with or without some crispy poppadoms (we both vote with!) and some fresh cilantro this is a fabulously delicious meal that also manages to come together in around 35-minutes!
It’s a fabulous mix of spices, coconut milk, red lentils and vegetable broth that simmers away until you’re left with a fragrant and delicious meal.
I used light coconut milk to make this meal on the lighter side, but definitely go with the full fat variety if you want it to be a bit richer/fancier.
I think you are going to love this creamy coconut red lentil dal, it is:
- High in protein
- Highly flavorful
- Perfectly spiced
This lentil dal also keeps beautifully in the fridge, so if you have leftovers it’s ideal for lunch the next day. You can either reheat or serve it cold, it’s great either way.
I also find this lentil dal to pair very well with some fruit chutney, I don’t make my own, but if you have a favorite brand of fruit chutney, this is a great pairing here.
My favorite chutney (which is no surprise, I’m sure it is literally every South African on the planets favorite chutney) is Mrs Balls. You can get it from Amazon if you’d like to give it a try.
So let us know what you think of this vegan lentil dal in the comments! And if you make the recipe please rate it and let us know how it went!
For more delicious dinner options, check out these great recipes:
Sign up to our email list and you’ll receive an awesome free recipe ebook, and you’ll stay updated with all our latest recipe blogs!
Creamy and ultra satisfying coconut and red lentil dal. This delicious plant-based entree is high in protein, perfectly spiced and highly flavorful. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Garlic
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (chopped)
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 2 cups (400g) Dried Red Lentils
- 3 cups (720ml) Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 can (14oz/400ml) Light Coconut Milk*
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Sugar*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add the chopped onion, crushed garlic and fresh ginger to a pot with the coconut oil and sauté until softened.
- Add the turmeric, coriander powder, cinnamon and curry powder along with the lentils and sauté the lentils in the spices briefly before adding in the coconut milk and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat, cover the pot and simmer until lentils are soft (around 25 mins).
- Add in the coconut sugar and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice, fresh cilantro and poppadoms.
*You can also use a full fat coconut milk if you prefer the dish to be a bit richer.
*Any kind of sugar works well here.
- Category: Entree, Dinner, Savory
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 515
- Sugar: 12.1g
- Sodium: 447mg
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrates: 82.8g
- Fiber: 13.4g
- Protein: 25g