Easy 3-ingredient homemade date caramel that you can use as a pie filling, ice cream swirl or topping, on your oatmeal, or just eat it with a spoon!
- Place the can of coconut cream in the coldest part of your refrigerator and leave there overnight.
- When you’re ready to make your date caramel, remove from the refrigerator, open the can and scoop out only the cream section that has risen to the top, leaving the water behind.
- You will use only this cream portion in your date caramel.
- Place your pitted dates and vanilla extract in the food processor and process on the S blade.
- The dates will initially form a giant ball of toffee.
- Continue to process beyond this point until the giant ball begins to break up.
- You can also stop the processor and break it up with your hands, and then start it up again.
- The ball will get smaller as more of it sticks to the sides.
- Switch off the processor, scrape off the sides with a spoon and switch it back on.
- While the processor is running, begin adding the cream slowly until it has all been added.
- Process for a minute or so and then stop the machine and scrape down the sides.
- Continue to process until it is completely smooth and creamy.
- If you want it completely smooth, then once you have got it as smooth as it will go in the food processor, transfer to your blender jug for a quick blend to make it completely smooth.
- Processing time is around 12-15 minutes.
*This is approximately 20 pitted medjool dates.
*Dates should ideally be soft and moist before you begin. If they are not you can soak them in hot water first, or heat them in the microwave for a minute or so to soften before you begin.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free, How To
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 10)
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 23.8g
- Sodium: 10mg
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 27.2g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 1.1g
Keywords: date caramel