This vegan grasshopper pie has a delicious brownie style crust topped with mint cream filling and vegan mint chocolate shavings.
For the Crust:
- 3 cups (300g) Raw Walnuts
- 1 cup (175g) Pitted Medjool Dates (tightly packed)
- 1/3 cup (28g) Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
For the Mint Cream Filling:
- 2 14oz (400ml) Cans Coconut Cream (chilled overnight in the fridge)
- 1 cup (120g) Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract
- 1/4 tsp Green Food Coloring*
For the Topping:
- Vegan Mint Chocolate*
- The night before you want to make this, place the cans of coconut cream into the coldest part of your refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Place the walnuts, dates and cocoa powder into the food processor and process until it starts to clump together into a sticky dough. When you start processing it will initially process into fine crumbs but won’t be sticky. The longer you process, the more the nuts will release their oils and then it will start to stick together in clumps.
- Press this mixture down into a pie dish and then place into the freezer to set.
- Remove the cans of coconut cream from the fridge, being careful not to shake them at all. When you open the can you will see that the cream part has risen to the top. Scoop out only this cream section into a mixing bowl – leaving the water behind. You can throw this out or use it in a smoothie. Repeat with the second can.
- Whip the cream with an electric mixer until it reaches whipped cream consistency. For a full step by step tutorial and video, click here: How To Make Vegan Whipped Cream
- When the cream is whipped, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and green food coloring and whip again to mix it all in.
- Scoop this out on top of the brownie pie crust. Place this into the refrigerator (not freezer) to set.
- When you’re ready to serve, top with vegan mint chocolate shavings.
*If you don’t want to use food coloring, you can use a tsp of spirulina or barley grass juice powder. Or just omit this altogether, the flavor would not be affected, only the color.
*If you can’t find vegan mint chocolate, just use plain vegan dark chocolate.
*The prep time of this recipe does not include time spent setting in the fridge.
- Category: Dessert, Gluten-Free
- Method: Food Processor, Mixer
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 10)
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 24.6g
- Fat: 38g
- Carbohydrates: 33.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Protein: 7.2g
Keywords: vegan grasshopper pie, vegan mint pie