Light and crumbly vegan scones served with strawberry jam and freshly whipped coconut cream. Absolutely delicious along with your afternoon tea, as dessert or even breakfast.
- 3 cups (375g) Self Raising Flour (plus more for dusting)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter/Margarine
- 4 Tbsp (56g) Caster Sugar (also called Super Fine Sugar)*
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Soy Milk (plus more for brushing the tops)*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)*
- Strawberry Jam
- Whipped Coconut Cream
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C)
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add salt and baking powder.
- Add the vegan butter and rub in with your fingers until the mix is crumbly.
- Add the caster sugar.
- Then add the soy milk, vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix in with a spoon.
- Flour your work surface and your hands, and add extra flour as needed as you move the mix out of the mixing bowl and roll it with your hands into a big ball.
- If the dough is sticky at any point, add more flour.
- Flatten it out so that there is space to cut out 4 scones.
- Dip a smooth cutter in flour and then cut out 4 scones and place them on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Roll the remaining dough and cut out 2 more scones.
- Roll again and cut out another 2 scones, with anything left over becoming the final scone.
- Brush the tops of the scones with soy milk.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
- Serve with jam and whipped coconut cream.
*If you can’t find caster sugar (super fine sugar), you can use regular granulated sugar.
*You can use a different non-dairy milk such as almond milk if you prefer.
*The lemon juice is about what you’ll get from squeezing one small lemon.
*The baking time variance is really in how golden you want the tops of the scones to be. If you bake them for 20 minutes they can get very nicely browned on top, whereas at 15 minutes they are only lightly browned. Either way they are great. Because of oven variance though, it’s definitely best to check on them at the 15 minute mark and see how they’re looking.
*Nutritional information is for 1 scone of 9, without jam or whipped coconut cream.
*Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food.
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Scone (of 9)
- Calories: 233
- Sugar: 7g
- Sodium: 805mg
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 38.6g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: 4.7g
Keywords: vegan scones