These vegan oatmeal bars taste just like oatmeal cookies! A crunchy, brown sugar sweetened delight packed with oats and walnuts and drizzled with vegan chocolate!
- 1 and 3/4 cups (175g) Rolled Oats
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (80g) Dessicated Coconut*
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup*
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (Chopped)*
- 3 ounces (85g) Vegan Chocolate (Melted, for Drizzling)*
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (163°C). Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper so that there is overhang on each side.
- Add the rolled oats, all purpose flour, dessicated coconut, cinnamon and salt to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the vegan butter to a pot on the stove and melt it on medium heat.
- Add the syrup and brown sugar and stir until the sugar has melted completely and the mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add the baking soda and using a hand whisk, quickly whisk it all together. The mixture will foam up when the baking soda is added.
- Pour the melted butter, sugar and syrup mix over the dry ingredients and stir in.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir. Add the chopped walnuts and stir in.
- Transfer to your prepared baking tray and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before lifting it out using the parchment paper overhang.
- Slice into 16 bars.
- When the bars are completely cooled, melt your chocolate. Break the chocolate up into pieces and place into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals bringing it out to stir every 15-seconds until completely smooth. Drizzle over the top of the bars and place into the fridge for the chocolate to set.
*Dessicated Coconut is also called Finely Shredded Coconut (Unsweetened)
*You can use any table syrup here it doesn’t have to be pure maple syrup. It could be maple flavored syrup, or golden syrup or really any syrup.
*The walnuts are optional and can be omitted if you prefer. Or you can replace them with chopped pecans or macadamias or another nut of your choice. You could also add in raisins or cranberries.
*The chocolate drizzle is completely optional. You can use melt down either regular vegan chocolate or vegan chocolate chips. If you’re using chocolate chips use 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips.
*Keep them stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge where they will stay good for one week.
*This recipe was first published in October 2015 and called ‘Oatmeal Crunchies’. It has now been updated with new photos and text (and a new name!).
- Category: Dessert, Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Bar (of 16)
- Calories: 314
- Sugar: 16.5g
- Sodium: 251mg
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4g
- Carbohydrates: 32.7g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 4.2g
Keywords: vegan oatmeal bars