These vegan oreo cupcakes are moist and delicious with wonderful contrasts of texture between a crunchy oreo cookie base, rich chocolate cake and velvety smooth frosting!
For the Oreo Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 cup (200g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Canola Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg (1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsp hot water)
- 12 Oreo Cookies
For the Frosting:
- 3 cups (360g) Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Vegan Butter
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 10 Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla extract, oil, vinegar and flax egg to the mixing bowl and mix in. Don’t overmix the batter.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and place a whole oreo cookie into each liner.
- Then divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, pouring the batter directly on top of the oreo cookie.
- Place into the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When the cupcakes are baked, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk and vanilla extract to an electric mixing bowl and starting at slow speed gradually increase the speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thick, add a tiny bit more soy milk. If it’s too thin, add some more powdered sugar.
- When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Crush 4 oreos and spoon the crumbs over the top of the frosting. Then break another 6 oreos into halves and prop them on top of your cupcakes to serve.
*An alternative to a flax egg would be 3 Tbsp of applesauce.
*Adapted from our Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes.
*Nutritional information is based on 1 cupcake of 12 including frosting, sprinkles and oreo cookie topping.
*This recipe was first published in March 2017.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 56.2g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 77.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: vegan oreo cupcakes