Moist vegan oreo cupcakes with delicious contrasts of texture between the crunchy oreo cookie base, rich spongey chocolate cake and velvety smooth frosting!
- For the Oreo Cupcakes:
- 1.5 cups (190g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (42g) Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (80ml) Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar)
- 1 Flax Egg
- 12 Oreo Cookies
- For the Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45g) Vegan Butter
- 2.5 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- For Decorating:
- 10 Oreos
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and then add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp Flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla extract, oil, and vinegar to the mixing bowl and mix in.
- Add the flax egg.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners and place a whole oreo cookie into each liner.
- Then divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners, pouring the batter directly on top of the oreo cookie.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When the cupcakes are baked, transfer them to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk and vanilla extract to an electric mixing bowl and starting at slow speed gradually increase the speed until the frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thick, add a tiny bit more soy milk. If it’s too thin, add some more powdered sugar.
- When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Crush 4 oreos and spoon the crumbs over the top of the frosting. Then break another 6 oreos into halves and prop them on top of your cupcakes to serve.
*Adapted from my Chocolate Cupcakes.
*Nutritional information is based on 1 cupcake of 12 including frosting, sprinkles and oreo cookie topping.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 56.2g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Fat: 13.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 77.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 4g