These portobello burgers are marinated and then grilled to absolute perfection. Serve fully loaded in soft rolls with caramelized onions, lettuce, tomato, pickles and avocado. So easy and so delicious.
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms (Stems Removed)
- 1/2 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil*
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/8 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (White, Yellow or Brown, Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Hamburger Rolls
- Dill Pickles
- Remove the stems from the portobello mushrooms.
- Prepare your marinade by adding soy sauce, paprika, maple syrup, brown sugar, tomato paste, liquid smoke and oregano to a measuring jug. Whisk together until well mixed.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray or in a shallow dish and brush generously with the marinade on both sides. Leave them to soak in the marinade for 15 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are marinating, make your caramelized onions. Add chopped onions and olive oil to a frying pan and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add soy sauce and maple syrup and sauté with the onions until sticky and caramelized.
- Heat up a grill pan and then brush it with 1/2 tablespoon of high smoke oil (we used grapeseed oil).
- Add the mushrooms and fry for around 3 minutes each side at medium heat.
- Then turn off the heat and brush both sides with marinade.
- Serve the portobello burgers on hamburger rolls with lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced dill pickles and topped with the caramelized onions and sliced avocado.
*Grapeseed oil – you can use any high heat oil that has a high smoke point. We used grapeseed oil and that worked very well.
*Grill pan – you can use a grill pan like we did for your portobello mushrooms but if you don’t have a grill pan then a regular frying pan or skillet will work just fine. You won’t get the grill lines but everything else will be the same.
*Leftovers: Keep leftover portobello burgers in a covered container in the fridge and enjoy within 2-3 days. They are not freezer friendly.
*Nutritional information is for 1 burger (of 4) and includes everything (roll, garnishes, onions, avocado)
- Category: Entree, Savory
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Burger (of 4)
- Calories: 383
- Sugar: 25.7g
- Sodium: 1359mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 62.8g
- Fiber: 8.1g
- Protein: 11.4g
Keywords: portobello burgers, portobello mushroom burgers