Rich, moist and tall vegan pumpkin cupcakes topped with a velvety pumpkin spice frosting and crushed pecans. Beautifully colorful and fall inspired.
For the Pumpkin Cupcakes:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 and 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (homemade or store bought)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (337g) Pumpkin Puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Flax Egg
For the Pumpkin Spice Frosting:
- 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
- 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 Tbsp Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Sprinkle of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Crushed Pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown and white sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice.
- Prepare your flax egg by mixing 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed meal with 3 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a minute to become gloopy.
- Add the pumpkin puree, vanilla, olive oil and apple cider vinegar to the mixing bowl.
- Add the flax egg and mix in. Your batter will be thick.
- Line a cupcake tray with muffin liners. Divide the batter evenly between them.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla and soy milk to the bowl of an electric mixer. Start on slow speed and gradually increase the speed until thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add in more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add in more non-dairy milk. When you reach the right consistency add in the pumpkin pie spice and mix in on slow until just mixed.
- Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and decorate with pumpkin pie spice and crushed pecan nuts.
*Recipe adapted from our Vegan Pumpkin Cake.
*Nutrition information is based on 1 cupcake (of 12) with frosting.
- Serving Size: 1 Cupcake (of 12)
- Calories: 379
- Sodium: 292mg
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrates: 75.2g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.6g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin cupcakes