When I first thought about making a vegan pecan pie, I had it in mind to do a baked version. But after scouring many recipes online and seeing that what holds a regular version of pecan pie together is syrup and a fair few eggs, I realized that making a baked vegan version wouldn’t be the most straightforward thing I ever did.
So I chickened out and made a raw vegan version instead.
There’s a lot to be said for raw vegan pies! Not only are they delicious, but generally they’re a lot easier too. You don’t have to bake them for one thing, and for another, they’re generally simple in terms of an ingredient list. Well at least they are when I make them.
One day I will attempt (and conquer) the baked vegan pecan pie, but that day is not today! Instead what we have here is gloriously raw and decadently delicious raw vegan pecan pie.
The crust is pecans, walnuts, dried (dessicated) coconut and dates, and the filling is a delicious blend of pecans, dates, coconut oil, coconut cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
And all that is topped with plenty of fresh pecans, and served up with some whipped coconut cream.
You will love this raw vegan pecan pie, it is:
- Loaded with raw goodness
- Super easy to make
- Packed with pecans
- Utterly divine served with vegan whipped cream
Keep it covered in the fridge where it will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
So what do you think of this raw vegan pecan pie? Let me know in the comments! And if you make this pie, rate the recipe and tell us how it went! Tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram if you take any pics!
For more raw vegan goodies, check out:
- No-Bake Vegan Banoffee Pie
- Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Cups
- Raw Chocolate Mint Squares
- Raw Strawberry Cheesecake
Sign up to our email list for a free recipe ebook and to stay updated with all our latest recipes posted to the blog.
Raw Vegan Pecan Pie
For the Crust:
- 1 cup Pecan Nuts (120g)
- 1 cup Walnuts (100g)
- ¼ cup Dessicated Coconut (20g) Finely Shredded Coconut
- 1 cup Pitted Dates (175g) Packed
For the Filling:
For the Topping:
- 1 cup Pecan Nuts (120g)
- Add pecan nuts, walnuts, dried (dessicated) coconut and pitted dates to the food processor and process. It will start of crumbly and then will gradually form into a sticky dough. Process it until it starts to clump and chunks are sticking together. Press this down into a pie dish, and place into the freezer to set while you prepare the filling.
- Warm the dates for 30 seconds in the microwave. If you don't have a microwave or don't want to use one, then soak them for 5 minutes in boiling hot water. Add them to the food processor and process. It will first form a giant ball of toffee and then gradually start to break down. When it is starting to break down and stick to the sides, heat the coconut cream and gradually pour it in while the food processor is running. Let this process into a thick caramel. Then add the melted coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg and process until smooth. Finally, add in the crushed pecans and briefly process to combine.
- Spread this out on top of the walnut pecan base and return to the freezer to set.
- Once set, put pecans all across the top of the pie. Serve with vegan whipped cream.
- Nutritional information is an estimate for 1 slice of 10 served without whipped cream.