Ah tomato soup! It takes me back. To the days of making it from a packet after school. Even then it was good!
Tomato soup is one of those things that it’s hard to mess up. I mean you can even make a deliciously creamy RAW version!
But nonetheless, I tried to make a version where I used only fresh tomatoes, and it just didn’t come out well.
It was SO tart it was ridiculous. When you’re cooking tomatoes, this is always a possibility. You don’t really want the skins, so using canned tomatoes where it’s all been done for you is a great idea, and you may need to add a little sugar as well to offset the tartness.
So this recipe does use a little sugar, but it’s optional, if you don’t mind a bit of tartness then you can leave it out.
And for creaminess? Well this soup is totally creamy, but there’s no cream in it! I think it’s from the potatoes. It’s got such a hearty wholesome vibe going, and it’s wonderfully satisfying and just what you want on a cold night in. Add in some nice bread for dipping and life is good.
It’s so easy to make this soup as you just chop everything up and put it all in the pot at the same time, bring to the boil and then turn it down to simmer for around an hour.
Blend it up with an immersion blender and there you have it.
Deliciously thick creamy tomato soup.
It’s tangy, full of flavor, and veggie-packed goodness!
You’ll love how the flavors combine for a wonderfully rich taste and texture.
It’s also really low fat, so if you were digging into the mint chocolate squares in the afternoon, this may be a good choice for dinner 🙂
Of course it’s wonderful as an appetizer, but it totally works as an entree too.
It’s more than satisfying enough to have as a main course.
I’d love to know what you think of this recipe, so please go ahead and leave a comment and rate this recipe.
As always if you tag us #lovingitvegan on instagram that would be awesome.
I love to see what you’re making! Thanks!
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 14oz Cans Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Sugar (optional)
- 2 Large Potatoes (or 4 medium)
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- Peel and chop the onion and crush the garlic and then fry with the coconut oil in the pot you'll cook the soup in.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes, peeled and chopped potatoes, sugar and 2 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for around an hour, until all the ingredients are soft and cooked.
- Using an immersion (handheld) blender, blend into a smooth soup.
- Serve sprinkled with dried herbs and basil leaves.