Ah tomato soup! It takes me back. To the days of making it from a packet after school. Even then it was good!
Tomato soup is one of those things that it’s hard to mess up. I mean you can even make a deliciously creamy RAW version!
But nonetheless, I tried to make a vegan tomato soup where I used only fresh tomatoes, and it just didn’t come out well.
It was SO tart it was ridiculous. When you’re cooking tomatoes, this is always a possibility. You don’t really want the skins, so using canned tomatoes where it’s all been done for you is a great idea, and you may need to add a little sugar as well to offset the tartness.
So this recipe does use a little sugar, but it’s optional, if you don’t mind a bit of tartness then you can leave it out.
And for creaminess? Well this soup is totally creamy, but there’s no cream in it! The creaminess comes from the potatoes, but it doesn’t taste like it’s from potatoes, if you know what I mean. It’s got such a hearty wholesome vibe going, and it’s wonderfully satisfying and just what you want on a cold night in or really, whatever the weather! Add in some nice bread for dipping and life is good.
It’s so easy to make this soup as you just chop everything up, sauté the onions, garlic and spices and then add everything else in at the same time, bring to the boil and then turn it down to simmer until everything is cooked.
Blend it up with an immersion blender and there you have it.
Deliciously thick creamy vegan tomato soup.
It’s tangy, full of flavor, and veggie-packed goodness!
You’ll love how the flavors combine for a wonderfully rich taste and texture.
It’s also really low fat, so if you were digging into the vegan cheesecake in the afternoon and want something a little lighter in the evening, then this is a good choice!
Of course it’s wonderful as an appetizer, but it totally works as an entree too.
It’s more than satisfying enough to have as a main course.
So I think you’re going to love this easy vegan tomato soup, it is:
- Rich and Creamy
- Great as an appetizer or entree
Leftovers keep very well in the fridge and can be reheated the next day.
I’d love to know what you think of this vegan tomato soup, so please go ahead and leave a comment and rate this recipe too, thanks so much.
For more fabulous vegan soup recipes, check out these great options:
- Vegan Carrot Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sign up to our email list for a fabulous vegan dinner recipes ebook, containing 10 delicious recipes, and to be the first to know whenever new recipes are posted to the blog!
Rich and creamy vegan tomato soup. Hearty and satisfying and ideal as an appetizer, served with delicious bread for dipping. Gluten-free.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic to a pot with the coconut oil and sauté. Add in the oregano and dried basil and sauté until the onions are softened.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes, peeled and chopped potatoes, sugar and 2 cups of vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer until all the ingredients are soft and cooked (around 30 minutes).
- Using an immersion (handheld) blender, blend into a smooth soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, then transfer to a blender jug and blend it up in stages and return to the pot.
- Serve with a sprinkle of dried basil and dried oregano and fresh basil leaves.
*Inspired by Martha Stewart.
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 225
- Sugar: 14.9g
- Sodium: 485mg
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 43.9g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 5.5g
Keywords: vegan tomato soup