This butternut squash hummus is made with roasted butternut squash to pack in the flavor! It’s creamy and smooth and it makes the perfect dip!
For the Roasted Butternut Squash:
- 2 cups (300g) Butternut Squash (Peeled and Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
For the Hummus:
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chickpeas (Drained)
- 1/3 cup (80g) Tahini
- 4 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
For Serving (Optional):
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Add the chopped butternut squash to a mixing bowl along with the olive oil, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt and ground black pepper and toss everything together until the butternut is well coated.
- Transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
- While the butternut is roasting, squeeze the fresh lemon juice and add it to a bowl along with the crushed cloves of garlic and let the fresh garlic soak in the lemon juice.
- When the butternut is cooked, let it cool a little and then add it to the food processor along with the lemon juice and garlic, chickpeas, tahini and 2 Tbsp of the cold water.
- Process until chunky.
- Add in the sea salt, cumin, olive oil and remaining 2 Tbsp of cold water and process until smooth.
- Serve it topped with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of black sesame seeds and smoked paprika and some fresh chopped parsley.
*It’s worthwhile to squeeze your own fresh lemon juice when you’re making hummus, it just tastes much better than bottled juice, but of course bottled lemon juice will also work in a pinch.
*Fresh raw garlic soaks in the lemon juice to take some of the bite out of the flavors.
*Tahini is a crucial ingredient in hummus and a good tasting tahini (like Soom, linked in the ingredients list) is important.
*It’s most ideal to make this in a food processor as it’s very thick so a blender will struggle with it. Let your food processor run for a few minutes so that your hummus gets really smooth.
*Leftovers will keep in the fridge (covered) for around 3-4 days.
- Category: Appetizer, Side, Gluten-Free
- Method: Oven, Food Processor
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 170
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Sodium: 318mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 14.7g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 4.6g
Keywords: butternut squash hummus