Fluffy vegan mashed potatoes with roasted garlic. Creamy, buttery, garlicky and divine. The perfect side dish and everything you want mashed potatoes to be.
For the Roasted Garlic:
- Head of Garlic
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
For the Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 and 1/2 pounds (1.1kg) Potatoes (Peeled and Chopped)*
- 4 Tbsp (60g) Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Soy Milk*
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Fresh Chives
- Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C). Make your roasted garlic by peeling the outer flaky layers off the head of garlic, then using a knife chop off just the tips of the garlic. Wrap in tinfoil, pour over 1 tsp Olive Oil and rub it into the garlic. Close the tinfoil and bake for 35 mins until perfectly roasted. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Then using your fingers, pop the cloves of garlic out into a bowl, and then use a fork to mash the garlic.
- Place the potatoes into a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook covered for around 20-25 minutes until soft.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain the water from the pot and leave the potatoes behind in the pot and allow them to sit for a few minutes as any remaining water on the potatoes will dry off.
- Add in the vegan butter and mash it in with a potato masher and then add the soy milk and mash it in.
- Add in the roasted garlic and mash it in with the potatoes.
- Lastly add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chives and serve.
*This is about 4 large potatoes or 6-7 medium sized potatoes. Starchy potatoes like Russet’s work great for making mashed potatoes.
*You can use a different non-dairy milk other than soy if you like.
*To save time it’s ideal if you prepare and start cooking the potatoes while the garlic is roasting, then by the time the garlic is ready to use, the potatoes are also cooked and ready to go. The 35 minutes of ‘cook’ time allocated is roasting the garlic and assumes that the potatoes will be cooking while the garlic is roasting.
*Store leftovers in a covered container in the fridge where they will stay good for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove and add more vegan butter, soy milk and salt and pepper as needed. They are also freezer friendly and can either thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating on the stove or reheat them directly from frozen on the stovetop.
- Category: Side, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 6)
- Calories: 243
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Sodium: 305mg
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4.8g
Keywords: vegan mashed potatoes