Vegan cashew cheese that is sliceable and perfect for a vegan cheese board! It’s delicious on crackers and you can slice it into perfect slices and you can mash it up on a cracker if you like. Full flavored, authentic looking and quick and easy to make too!
- 1 cup (150g) Raw Cashew Nuts
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Water
- 5 Tbsp Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) Tahini
- 1/2 Medium Carrot, peeled and sliced (~30g)
- 2 and 1/2 tsp Salt*
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder (or flakes)
- 1 cup (240ml) Water
- 1 Tbsp Agar Agar Powder (not flakes)*
- Add the cashews, 1/3 cup water, lemon juice, coconut oil, tahini, carrot, salt, paprika, cayenne, dijon mustard, nutritional yeast and garlic powder to the blender and blend until very smooth. Leave the mix in the blender and set aside.
- Add 1 cup of water and the agar agar powder to a saucepan and heat, stirring regularly until boiling. Boil it for 1 minute (time it), stirring regularly and after 1 minute remove it from the heat and pour it into the blender on top of the cheese mix.
- Blend until smooth.
- Moving quickly, as it will start setting up very fast, pour the mix out into a round dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Refrigerate until set. To remove from the bowl, turn upside down onto a plate.
*It is crucial for the success of this recipe that you use agar agar powder and not flakes. Flakes are much less powerful and if you DO use flakes you will need to use 3 times as much.
*This might seem like a lot of salt, but it works perfectly in this recipe.
*I used a regular round bowl, it was 5 inches round and 2 inches deep. I chose it because it was quite straight up the sides so created a nicer shape for the cheese. But you can really use any bowl or ramekin, and if your bowls are smaller, then just use 2 bowls for 2 smaller blocks of cheese.
*This cheese can be grated.
*I also put a slice on a cracker and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds and it melted! So yes it does melt! This isn’t really what I would call the main use for this though, as I think it tastes better as is, but yes it melts.
*We have also tried it on pizza. And it was fantastic. We tried it both grated onto a pizza and sliced. Either way was great. We put it on with all our other toppings before going into the oven and it got nice and soft and melty along with the other toppings. It doesn’t spread or anything, but it’s very very good.
- Category: Side, Gluten-Free, Appetizer
- Method: Blender and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 4 Slices (approx 1 oz)
- Calories: 73
- Sugar: 0.6g
- Sodium: 304mg
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 3.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.1g
Keywords: cashew cheese, vegan cheese