These vegan chocolate chip cookies are the best ever! They are soft, chewy, slightly-crunchy, perfectly sweet and totally satisfying. They’re also super easy to make.
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 1 cup (200g) Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Cornstarch*
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (175g) Vegan Chocolate Chips (+ more to press into the tops when they come out the oven)*
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Then add the soy milk and vanilla and mix in.
- Add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch and salt to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix in by hand (don’t use your electric mixer for this part) until properly mixed into a thick cookie dough.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix in to distribute as evenly as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Roll into balls and place evenly on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Aim for 20 cookies.
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are set and they are very slightly browned on top.
- When they come out of the oven, press a few more chocolate chips into the tops of the warm cookies.
- Allow to cool and firm up directly on the tray.
- Once properly cooled store in an airtight container.
*Measure your flour correctly using the spoon and level method (spoon the flour into a measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife. Don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup). Alternatively weigh it on a food scale.
*Cornstarch has a softening effect on baked goods and this contributes to these cookies being very soft and chewy.
*If you can’t get vegan chocolate chips then just chop up a bar of vegan chocolate and use chocolate chunks instead.
*Bake for 10-12 minutes for a soft cookie. If you prefer them more on the crunchy side then you can bake them for up to 15 minutes. Ovens do vary though so keep a close eye on them.
*If your cookies didn’t flatten in the oven then just flatten them with a fork as soon as they come out of the oven when they’re still hot.
*This recipe was first published in 2016. It has been updated with new photos and clearer instructions but the recipe itself is unchanged.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Cookie (of 20)
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 13.9g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 25.1g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 1.9g
Keywords: vegan chocolate chip cookies