This hummus recipe is the best ever! It’s a slightly spicy take on a classic recipe and will soon become your go-to hummus recipe.
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 15oz (425g) Can Chickpeas (Drained)
- 1/3 cup (80g) Tahini
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tbsp Cold Water
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper (Optional)*
- Soak the crushed garlic in the freshly squeezed lemon juice for 5 minutes.
- Then add the drained chickpeas to the food processor along with the garlic and lemon juice, tahini and 2 Tbsp of cold water and process until chunky.
- Then add in the salt, cumin, olive oil and remaining cold water and process until smooth.
- Add the cayenne pepper (optional) and process again until smooth.
*Soaking the garlic in the lemon juice helps to take some of the bite out of the raw garlic.
*Use a good tasting tahini. Soom is a great brand that you can get on Amazon.
*The cayenne pepper is optional. It’s a good idea to add in 1/4 teaspoon first and then taste test and see if you want to add more. Or leave it out altogether. You can also use cajun spice or chili powder.
*To get your hummus smooth let your food processor run for a good few minutes! If your food processor isn’t up to the task of getting it really smooth, then an optional additional step is to move it to your blender for a final blend before serving.
- Category: Appetizer, Side, Gluten-Free
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 8)
- Calories: 145
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Sodium: 301mg
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Protein: 4.5g
Keywords: hummus, hummus recipe