This vegan malva pudding is rich, sticky, caramely and saucy! It’s totally divine served warm with vegan whipped cream or ice cream.
For the Malva Pudding:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Soy Milk*
- 1/2 cup (140g) Applesauce
- 2 Tbsp (40g) Smooth Apricot Jam
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Coconut Oil (Melted)
For the Sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9×9 square dish* with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix together.
- Add the white vinegar to the soy milk and let it curdle. Then add that in along with the applesauce, apricot jam and coconut oil and mix into a batter. Use a hand whisk briefly to remove any large lumps. It’s okay if the apricot jam isn’t entirely mixed and has some little lumps.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- When the malva is almost finished cooking, start on your sauce.
- Add the butter to a saucepan and melt it. Add the sugar and coconut cream and heat together until it reaches a simmer, stirring all the while. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- When the malva comes out the oven, poke holes all over it with a toothpick and then pour over the sauce making sure to distribute it evenly across the whole pudding. Let the sauce sink in and then cut into squares.
- Serve warm with vegan whipped cream or vegan ice cream.
*You can probably also use a different non-dairy milk such as almond milk or oat milk though we have not tested all options.
*Use canned full fat unsweetened coconut cream for the sauce. It does not need to be chilled and the cream does not need to be separated from the water, just shake up the can and measure out a cup.
*An 8×8 square dish is also fine to use.
*Nutritional information is for the malva pudding and sauce only and excludes ice cream.
*Inspired by Cupcake Richard
*This recipe was first published in March 2016.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serving (of 12)
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 40.4g
- Sodium: 333mg
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated Fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrates: 57.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 2.5g
Keywords: vegan malva pudding