If you’re a vegan then you know that whenever there is a group event with food involved, like a BBQ (what we South Africans call a braai) or a potluck, all the good veg food is the first to go.
Leaving the vegans hungrily looking on with nothing left to eat!
This is a common problem. The good vegan food is always so popular.
A few years ago Jaye and I went to a BBQ and made roasted stuffed butternut squash. It was pretty similar to this recipe, except we wrapped them up in foil and put them on the braai.
Luckily we had quite a few because when everyone else got wind of it, this turned into the most popular dish at the BBQ, the one that was spoken about for ages afterward!
Really, they are that good. It’s no surprise.
It’s as simple as making an awesome roasted pepper quinoa salad – an incredible dish in its own right, cooking up some butternut halves with some olive oil and spices and then stuffing them with the quinoa salad and some vegan cheese (optional).
And then you bake them until perfectly browned and delicious!
This makes an incredibly delicious and satisfying meal that is packed with goodness and healthy flavor.
It’s wholesome, hearty and makes an ideal entrée.
This meal is equally delicious hot or cold, so if you have leftovers, no worries at all. You’ll love it just as much eaten cold or reheated the next day.
There’s also no need to peel the butternuts as the skins roast and caramelize to perfection!
So it’s extremely simple too.
It’s not extremely fast, it does take around 80 minutes in total, but most of that is time spent roasting in the oven, so it’s hands off.
Just get a glass of wine and chill with your feet up!
You will love these stuffed roasted butternut halves, they are:
- Insanely delicious!
Half a stuffed butternut makes a large and very filling entrée for one person. So this recipe easily serves 4 for a delicious satisfying meal. If it’s served as a side or appetizer, then it will serve at least 8.
Want more delicious vegan butternut squash recipes?
We have some great ones:
- Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Curry Bowls
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Vegan Enchiladas
- Roasted Butternut Squash Hummus
So let us know what you think of these stuffed roasted butternuts – leave a comment and let us know and please rate the recipe too!
Sign up to our email list while you’re here, we’ll send you an awesome (and free!) recipe ebook containing 10 delicious vegan dinner recipes and you’ll be the first to know when new recipes are posted to the blog.Print
Hearty and wholesome roasted stuffed butternut squash. Stuffed with a delicious quinoa salad and roasted to perfection. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
For the Butternut Squash:
- 2 Large Butternut Squash
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/4 tsp Dried Rosemary
- Sprinkle Sea Salt
- Sprinkle Black Pepper
For the Quinoa Salad:
- 1 cup (170g) Quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 Spring Onions (Chopped)
- 12 Green Olives (Sliced)
- 3 Bell Peppers (Orange, Yellow and Red)
- 1/4 cup Chopped Chives
- 12 Cherry Tomatoes (Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
For the Sauce:
For the Topping (Optional):
- 3.5oz (100g) Grated Vegan Cheese
- Slice the butternuts in half, remove the pips and scrape with a fork. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, dried basil and rosemary, sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 460°F (240°C) for around 60 minutes until soft and cooked.
- While the butternut is baking, cook your 1 cup of quinoa according to package directions or as per your preferred method. 1 cup of uncooked quinoa = approximately 3 cups cooked quinoa. Use it all in the salad.
- Chop up your red, yellow and orange bell peppers and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Add in to the oven with the butternut and allow to roast for 10 minutes.
- When the quinoa is cooked, transfer it to a mixing bowl and add the roasted bell peppers, chopped spring onions, sliced olives, sliced cherry tomatoes and chopped chives. Add the lemon juice and mix in.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour over the quinoa salad and mix in.
- When the butternut is soft and cooked, remove from the oven, stuff with the quinoa salad, and top with grated cheese. Return to the oven to bake for a final 10 mins.
- Category: Entree, Savory, Gluten-Free
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 4)
- Calories: 529
- Sugar: 20.7g
- Sodium: 837mg
- Fat: 16.8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 90.6g
- Fiber: 18.3g
- Protein: 11.5g
Keywords: stuffed butternut squash