Baked and marinated tofu served on a hamburger bun with lettuce, sliced tomato and the richest, creamiest mushroom sauce. A real treat for burger lovers. Flavorful, savory and deliciously satisfying.
For the Tofu Burgers:
- 1 Block Firm Tofu (18 oz or smaller)
- Hamburger Buns
For the Marinade Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) Date Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp (16g) Peanut Butter
- 1/2 tsp Chili and Garlic Spice (or other spice mix)
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 18 oz (500g) White Button Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Soy Sauce
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut Cream
- 1 Tbsp (8g) All-Purpose Flour
- Press the tofu for 20 minutes either using a Tofu Press, or by wrapping it in absorbent towel and placing something heavy (like a heavy pot) on top of it.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (180 degrees celsius).
- When pressed, cut the tofu into thick square burgers.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Place the tofu burgers onto the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, turning the tofu over after 20 minutes.
- Mix the marinade sauce into a bowl.
- When the tofu is finished baking, place the tofu into a dish and pour the marinade sauce over it.
- While the tofu is marinating, start your mushroom sauce.
- Chop the mushrooms and add to a pan with the 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce.
- Cover with a lid and turn the heat to medium high.
- When the mushrooms release their water and are bubbling away remove the lid and let the water cook off.
- When the water is mostly evaporated, add the coconut cream and simmer for a minute.
- Then mix the Tbsp of flour with a small amount of leftover coconut cream (or water) into a thick paste.
- Stir it into the sauce.
- Allow to boil for a couple of minutes after adding the flour to further thicken up before removing from the heat.
- While the sauce cools, heat a pan on the stove, and then remove the tofu from the marinade sauce, using a slotted spatula so that most of the sauce remains behind and place it into the frying pan.
- Brown the tofu a few minutes on each side, until properly browned.
- Prepare your hamburger buns, adding lettuce and sliced tomato.
- Add the browned tofu burger on top, and finish up with some mushroom sauce, or serve the mushroom sauce on the side.
*The baking time for the tofu may be less, it depends on how thick your tofu burgers are.
*We used an 18 oz block of tofu, but any good size block of firm tofu will do.
*Nutritional Estimate is based on 1 burger of 3, including bun, garnish and a generous amount of sauce.
*You could easily get 4 burgers out of this recipe with an equivalent size block of tofu, by cutting the tofu slices a bit thinner.
- Category: Burger, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Burger (of 3)
- Calories: 701
- Sugar: 13.3g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 50.5g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Protein: 41g