This delicious tofu salad is packed with crispy vegetables and marinated tofu and it’s topped with a creamy tahini dressing.
For the Marinated Tofu:
- 16oz (~450g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil (plus more for frying)
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Cornstarch
For the Salad:
- 6 cups Chopped Romaine Lettuce*
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (Sliced)
- 2 cups Sliced Cucumber
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 1 cup Grated Carrot*
- 1 Spring Onion (Chopped)*
- 1/4 cup Pickled Ginger
- 1/2 cup Fresh Basil (Chopped)
- 2 tsp Sesame Seeds*
- 1 Avocado (Sliced)
For the Dressing:
- 1 Full Recipe Tahini Salad Dressing
For Serving (Optional):
- Chopped Chives
- Sesame Seeds
- Press the tofu for 20 minutes before you start. It’s ideal if you use a tofu press, but if you don’t have a tofu press then stand the tofu on a plate, with another plate on top of it, and then stack something heavy on top of that like a heavy pot or some heavy books.
- Add the soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, maple syrup, rice vinegar, sesame oil and hoisin sauce to a bowl or measuring jug and whisk into a sauce (leave the cornstarch until later).
- When the tofu has finished pressing, cut it into cubes and place into a glass dish. Pour over the marinade sauce and turn over the cubes of tofu so that both sides are covered in marinade sauce. Place into the fridge and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, heat a frying pan with a little sesame oil. Take the tofu out of the marinade sauce and fry it until golden brown.
- Add the teaspoon of cornstarch to the leftover marinade sauce and then pour it over the fried tofu and fry until thickened.
- Now assemble your salad. Add chopped romaine lettuce to a salad bowl followed by sliced cherry tomatoes and sliced cucumber.
- Add chopped red bell pepper, grated carrot, chopped spring onion, pickled ginger, chopped basil and sesame seeds.
- Then add in the cooked tofu and sliced avocado. Prepare your dressing and pour over the top and toss together. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and some chopped chives (optional).
*This is about 2 small heads of romaine lettuce.
*This is about 2 medium carrots, grated.
*Spring onion is also called green onion or salad onion.
*We used half black sesame seeds and half white sesame seeds, but either or is fine.
*Prep time includes pressing the tofu and marinating for 30 minutes. While the tofu is pressing and marinating the other salad prep can be done. So the whole meal can be ready in an hour.
*If you’d like this salad to be gluten-free then use a gluten-free soy sauce and hoisin sauce.
*Nutritional information includes the marinated tofu and all salad ingredients but excludes the tahini salad dressing. Nutritional information for the salad dressing can be found on that recipe.
- Category: Entree, Side, Gluten-Free
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the Recipe
- Calories: 303
- Sugar: 10.6g
- Sodium: 763mg
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 22.9g
- Fiber: 7.3
- Protein: 17.9g
Keywords: tofu salad