It’s no secret that I love breakfast food. Before I became vegan I ate eggs on toast every. single. day. People who like a bit more variety in their menu found me rather perplexing. But I was happy. You know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it and all that.
And when I became vegan, I just resigned myself to letting go of that particular meal. I didn’t even look for replacements, I just figured that kind of meal was done for.
Until one day I found myself in a little health food restaurant in Thailand where they served all kinds of food including quite a few vegan options. And lo and behold, there on the menu was tofu scramble.
And it was amazing!
I mean, it’s just like eggs on toast, without actually being eggs on toast. Can you get any better than that?
In spite of my huge enjoyment of the meal, it took me several years to actually attempt to make this myself. And really…. it is so darn easy.
You will fall in love with this meal for the speed with which you can throw it together and for how absolutely fabulous it tastes.
The tofu scramble itself is gluten-free so just serve it without toast or with gluten-free toast if you’re keeping your breakfast gluten-free.
We wanted some color in this scramble but also loads of flavor so that’s why we went with fresh basil as our greens! Basil is so flavorful, but if you’re not a fan, you can easily switch this out for baby spinach which is milder in flavor.
Red bell pepper provides some gorgeous red color, and the yellow of the scramble comes about from a little turmeric.
This is a meal that will make you super freaking happy in the morning! It’s packed with nutrition, high in protein and soooo filling and satisfying.
What do you think of this delicious tofu scramble? Let us know in the comments and please rate the recipe too! Thank you!
For more delicious vegan breakfasts, check out these great recipes:
- Vegan Omelette
- Vegan Blueberry Pancakes
- Classic Vegan Waffles
- Almond Butter Overnight Oats
- Banana Bread Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes
Sign up to our email list while you’re here as well, you’ll get a free recipe ebook containing 10 awesome recipes and you’ll be the first to know whenever a new recipe is posted to the blog!Print
Simply delicious tofu scramble, packed with fresh veggies and super high in protein and nutrition. Serve with hot toast and sliced avocado for a fabulous vegan breakfast or brunch.
- 8 oz (~220g) Extra Firm Tofu
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 1/2 Medium Red Bell Pepper (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Sprinkle Sea Salt
- Sprinkle Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup (60ml) Soy Milk
- 1 cup Fresh Basil
- In a wide bowl, use a fork to mash the tofu into chunks. Leave large chunks for the best scrambled look. Set aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and red bell pepper to the pan and sauté until softened.
- Add in the tofu and fry everything together until the tofu is nicely browned. Be careful when turning the tofu so you don’t break it up, and it stays in nice chunks.
- Mix the nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika and a sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper into a sauce with the soy milk and then pour that over the scrambled tofu and fold in.
- Lastly, add the basil and fold it in.
- Serve with toast triangles, sliced avocado and fresh basil (Optional)
- Serving Size: 1 Serve (of 2)
- Calories: 276
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 16.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Protein: 23.9g