Light and fluffy vanilla sheet cake with a velvety frosting and lots of sprinkles! This is the perfect cake to feed a crowd.
For the Vanilla Sheet Cake:
- 2 and 2/3 cups (330g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) White Granulated Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) Soy Milk*
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Canola Oil (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
For the Frosting:
- 4 and 1/2 cups (540g) Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 3 and 1/2 Tbsp Soy Milk*
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Few drops Green (or other color) Food Coloring (optional)
- Vegan Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Spray a 10×15 half sheet baking sheet with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Then add the soy milk, vanilla, oil and vinegar.
- Use a hand whisk to mix in. Be careful not to overmix the batter, just mix until all the large lumps are gone, tiny lumps are fine.
- Pour the batter out into your prepared half sheet baking pan.
- Spread the batter with the back of a spoon so that it reaches the corners of the baking sheet and is evenly distributed across it.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare your frosting by adding the powdered sugar, vegan butter, soy milk (see notes), vanilla, and food coloring (if using) into the bowl of an electric mixer. Start at slow speed and gradually increase speed until your frosting is thick and smooth. If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick, add more soy milk a drop at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Frost the cooled cake and decorate with sprinkles.
- Cut into squares and serve.
*Measure the flour correctly either by using the spoon and level method – spoon the flour into your measuring cup and then level off the top with a knife, don’t scoop it and don’t pack it into the cup – or weigh it on a food scale for total accuracy.
*You can use almond milk instead of soy milk if you prefer.
*You might not need all the soy milk in the frosting. This is how much I used but different brands of vegan butter have different water contents, if your brand has a higher water content than the one I used, you may not need to use as much soy milk. It’s a good idea to add it in slowly and only as much as needed.
*This recipe can adapt to an 8-inch round layer cake. Just spray two 8-inch cake pans with non-stick spray and line the bases with circles of parchment paper. Divide the batter between them and bake for 30 minutes.
*Adapted from our Vegan Vanilla Cake.
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Slice (of 15)
- Calories: 414
- Sugar: 56g
- Sodium: 323mg
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrates: 74.8g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 3.1g
Keywords: vegan vanilla sheet cake