Wonderfully soft and moist vegan apple muffins packed with delicious cinnamon flavor and whole apple pieces. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 2/3 cup (160ml) Vegan Buttermilk (1 Tbsp lemon juice and then add soy milk up to the 2/3rd cup/160ml line)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Canola Oil*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 cup (125g) Chopped Apple (Peeled)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a muffin tray very well with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk by adding 1 Tbsp lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk in up to the 2/3 cup line (160ml). Let it curdle.
- Add in the vegan buttermilk, oil, vanilla, vinegar and applesauce and mix into a thick batter.
- Add the chopped apples and mix in.
- Divide the batter between the muffin partitions.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the muffin tray and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Keep them covered at room temperature and enjoy within a few days.
*You can use a different vegetable oil if you like, melted coconut oil would also work well here.
*If you want to fancy these muffins up you can also brush the still warm tops with melted vegan butter and then sprinkle on (or dip them in) a mix of cinnamon and sugar (1/4 cup sugar (50g) and 1/2 tsp Cinnamon). I didn’t think it was necessary as they are really good on their own, though I did try it and it is a very nice addition if you want to add something extra.
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Serving Size: 1 Muffin (of 12)
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 17.6g
- Sodium: 222mg
- Fat: 4.9g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 1.5g
Keywords: vegan apple muffins